May have overpaid for a pup- I need suggestions.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

May have overpaid for a pup- I need suggestions.

Postby fsalem » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

So I adopted my first pit... and after some time I decided I was ready for another one.... but I wanted a nice one from a breeder.

After months of searching I come across a breeder ( who I won't name) and they had the exact pup I was looking for.

After driving 5 hours, I finally get to the kennel and sheeesh ! I was impressed. They were knowledgeable, clean and had some great looking dogs.

Upon arrival they told me the puppy was "18 weeks" and that her father was at another kennel being studded out. They gave me the paperwork , showed me around, talked to me etc. The puppy didn't look like a pit, but thinking she was 18 weeks I figured she would grow into it.

After getting home, I realized she was 21 WEEKS! That wasn't a concern to me until I took her to the vet and they were baffled when I called her a pit. I started to think of it and now I'm nervous that I may have overpaid for a dog that isn't even from the parents it's registered under, under UKC. The breeder hasn't answered my calls all day but they were helpful and they're so well known in the pitbull community, I don't think they would do such a thing.

I didn't sign a puppy contract or get a receipt ( i know , stupid...) but now I don't know what to do! HELP.
fsalem
Newborn Bully

Re: May have overpaid for a pup- I need suggestions.

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Buyer beware. You don't have any legal recourse that I can see.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Megan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Been there, done that with a horse. I had purchased a horse (from a friend's grandmother). I was told she was 7-9 years old. Stupid me trusted my friend. When I got her papers-- I saw there was something missing from her age. the "1" in front of the 7. She was 17, yes 17 years old vs the 7 I was told. At that point she was at my barn, I had paid transport fees and handed over the money. I chalked it up to my own stupidity, and didn't send her back--after all the next buyer may have just sent her off to slaughter(heck, maybe the seller would have).. Atleast with me she is loved, used, and has a home.

As much as you may be upset if you were "taken" enjoy your new pet... and take it as a lesson learned for next time.
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Leslie H » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Welcome. Could you tell us a little more about yourself, so you can be given access? There's a sample intro sticky in this forum.
I'm curious, why do you think it's not an APBT? What about its appearance?
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 am

Once you do the rest of the intro and have full access, a few of us here are fairly active in the show community. I may not have been very active in UKC this year (been doing other venues), but the "players" are the same and I still keep up with everyone. You can PM me (or any of the other show folk I'm sure), and I (we) may be able to give you more insite about the breeder if you want.

Anyway.... Welcome to PBF!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Introductions