HELLO! New to the forum and seeking advice.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

HELLO! New to the forum and seeking advice.

Postby Debo2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello my name is Zac and I wanted to introduce myself and give a little background on myself, dogs and experiences with the best breed of dogs in the world. Last year my dog Debo passed away from cancer and it was devistating to say the least. He was with me prior to my wife and 3 kids and was the best dog one could hope for. Well I have been wanting another dog for a short while but was not ready to take the plunge yet and then Sunday of last week my outlook changed. I was sitting in my car in my driveway after a short drive to releive some stress and I looked up and saw a rednose pit wandering the neighborhood. I went to get him and take him to who I thought was his owner but it turned out it wasnt his dog. So I put up signs and called the pound to no avail and have since decided to keep him as he has grown on me and the family.
I must say I am very dog and pitbull experienced as this dog after a week is looking to me for guidance in many situations. He is around a year old I would guess and has had no training, didnt know what a ball was and shows very little drive. That being said he is VERY smart is making great progress. My problem lies in the fact I have 3 little boys ages 3, 6 and 8 and I do not know how he the dog was raised. The dog is very good with them other than a slight humping problem and when I see this I correct with voice and body block. Well today as I was pushing the kids on the swing and he was standing by he barked ( which he has only done twice I beleive in a week) and went to nip at one of the boys. I stopped it immediately and a few minutes later he did it again. This time I corrected and rolled him on his back. I would like to keep the dog as he is very pretty and I can see a lot of potential in him but do not want to take any chances with my boys. I am very dominant in most dogs eyes and especially in this ones. My kids are not on the other hand. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I named the new pup Big Red but call him Red which he responds to already. He is 60 pounds and about a year old.
Debo2000
Newborn Bully

Re: HELLO! New to the forum and seeking advice.

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 pm

First of all, stop "correcting" him and rolling him on his back. You're a human, a provider and controller of resources, not a dog or a member of his "pack". Rolling him on his back serves no purpose but to confuse the hell out of the dog and break his trust which you have not yet earned.

Once the mods give you full access, you will have a wealth of information at your finger tips. In the meantime, here are articles you definitely need to read:

http://www.peaceablepaws.com/articles.php?subaction=showfull&id=1282181340&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&type=pat

http://www.peaceablepaws.com/articles.php?subaction=showfull&id=1282179405&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&type=pat
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Welcome! Please read the links Allison posted. They are full of good info for you. The whole dominance training/physical correction stuff is very old school, and proven to have many negative side affects. It's best to use positive reinforcement/training, and you especially don't want to use physical corrections on a dog you do not know the history of and how it could affect him. I hope you stick around, I'd love to see some pics of Big Red!
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Debo2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Thank you for the replies and links as I enjoyed the read. After my research as of late i wouldnt normally do the alpha roll but I take no chances with my children and at the time it felt like the most severe form of punishment I could enforce. I love all dogs but also respect them but in turn I demand respect as well. So far Red has made it quite obvious he respects me and considers me the alpha but I really need to show him to respect the kids. I know he gets exited from their energy and is probably trying to get them to play with him by humping as many dogs do to other dogs to get a reaction from fellow pups but I dont want the behavior regardless of the reason. In addition he actually bit me earlier while playing with a tug rope but I chalked it up to his poor developement from previous owner and his exitement. I dont think he meant to but he seems to be a nipper. From my observation he was never fully socilaized and definitly was not played with enough. His drive is virtually non excistant compared to my last buddy. I know they are different dogs. Again thanks for the replies.
Debo2000
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Here are some more reads to help you out:

2 Weeks, Give Em a Break!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654

Dog Body Language
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79428

Mouthy Pup/Nipping
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16101

NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) Training
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59697

Alpha Theory
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133680&p=1778024&hilit=Debunking+Alpha+Theory#p1778024

Hope these will help you as much as they've helped many of us that foster, adopt, and have taken in strays.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 am

Go through the above listed links, and slow down with him. My advice right now would be to have him on a tie out away from the kids (since you want him out with you all) while they are playing until he learns that kids are loud and move quickly, and remove him from the yard if you think he is getting too overstimulated. As for nipping at your kid on the swing, that is really a normal (though not acceptable) canine behavior. The child is moving back and forth, and most likely not quietly. To a dog this looks like a really fun game and/or stimulates prey drive. Just because he doesn't seem to have drive now, it doesn't mean its not there. Red has to be taught that playing with the kids like that is a no-no. Give him something else to do instead or keep him away. As for getting your hand while playing tug... eh, it happens. So long as it wasn't "intentional" I wouldn't worry.

Welcome to PBF!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Debo2000 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for all of the replies!
Debo2000
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Mooresmajestic wrote:Go through the above listed links, and slow down with him. My advice right now would be to have him on a tie out away from the kids (since you want him out with you all) while they are playing until he learns that kids are loud and move quickly, and remove him from the yard if you think he is getting too overstimulated. As for nipping at your kid on the swing, that is really a normal (though not acceptable) canine behavior. The child is moving back and forth, and most likely not quietly. To a dog this looks like a really fun game and/or stimulates prey drive. Just because he doesn't seem to have drive now, it doesn't mean its not there. Red has to be taught that playing with the kids like that is a no-no. Give him something else to do instead or keep him away. As for getting your hand while playing tug... eh, it happens. So long as it wasn't "intentional" I wouldn't worry.

Welcome to PBF!

:goodpost:

welcome.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Introductions