Lyme disease and liver problems

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Lyme disease and liver problems

Postby turtle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

suzanne wrote:I don't know about the CAH but we just had a dog with hepatitis we were treating... Her values were well into the thousands as well. Our doc put her on metronidazole, actigal, and pred. She also got a cerenia injection because she was urpy and not eating.

Come to think of it my cousin had a dog go into some kind of liver failure and they used the Denosyl and Pred to treat it. Has your vet mentioned using steroids at all??

the Denosyl 425 mg to help her liver function and Marin was also recommended. I was cautioned about using over the counter Milk Thistle because the Marin is formulated for dogs and has just the silymarin, plus many dogs are allergic to the straight Milk Thistle.

They make a product called Denamarin, same company that makes the Marin and Denosyl... would it be cheaper to buy the combined drug?

Thank you for your response and ideas! I will ask my vet about the steroids as I seem to remember they had a reason why they did not want to use that on her. Good point about the Denamarin, as i wondered about that too. I have about 40 pills of the Denosyl but when that is gone, I might be better off to change her to the Denamarin.

And the vet who gave her the ultra sound has given me a prescription for Ciprofloxacin 500 mg for her to treat a possible infection in her liver. I was going to check with my regular vet tomorrow and then start this antibiotic for her.

She is eating well and acts fine, she is not vomiting and has a good appetite. Her arthritis makes her sore and limpy but she seems to be feeling a lot better after taking the doxy for the Lyme.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Leslie H wrote:Another round of doxycycline if there's a flare up. My friend's agility apbt just went through this. Her first bout was atypical, included weird skin outbreaks, and a very high fever. The second bout was much more typical, sudden onset lameness and pain, which quickly subsided with the doxy.
Sending healthy thoughts your way.

Thanks for the info. My old gal was limping and painful, but I had thought it was due to arthritis and did not know she had Lyme until she tested positive in her yearly check up. She responded well to the doxycycline, although she hated taking those pills for 28 days.

If she starts acting more sore and limping more, I'll have to get her on another round of doxy. Ohhh those horrid ticks....
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Red » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 am

Ugh, sorry to hear about the problem. How is she doing today?
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby turtle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for asking. She is feeling better so that is a good sign. I am making some changes to her diet and hoping this is something that can be managed.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 am

I am glad Fremmeit is feeling better :thumbsup:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:59 pm

We are just home from our trip and I took Fremiet to get her blood work done to see how her liver is.

Good News! Her tests came back showing a lowered ALT of 690 and her ALP was 240. Still on the high side but much better than the ALT of 1900 earlier this fall.

She is on the Denosyl and will probably have to take it for life but it is helping with her liver. I am so happy it is working!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 pm

hope she will continue to improve Sara
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues