Appa the terrorist at my parents house.. suggestions?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Appa the terrorist at my parents house.. suggestions?

Postby Breezy833 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:59 pm

I take my dog to my parents with me to to laundry every week, he's excited and happy to see everybody in the house. Too happy. My parents have an 8 year old rottwieler (breezy my girl) and an 11 year old jack russel. Bree was my dog originally but when it was time for me to move out ( being a grown up an all ) i couldnt take her with me. Every where that i tried to rent had a "vicious breed policy". My parents opted to keep her, and i came for visitation FREQUENTLY.

When i bought my home she had already lived with my parents for 5 years and wasnt adjusting well to living with JUST me. She started to patrol the house infatically, and have nervious tendancies. I thought it was a poor quality of life for her, and since i didnt know how to fix the problem i let her go back home. With a continued weekly visit.

The problem at hand is that Appa is overly excited to pretty much any new situation, and especially when we go to see his grand parents. Yesturday i took him for an hour and a half long walk to try and drain his excitement. He was visibly tired when we were finished, but as soon as we came back in the house he went right back to 10.

He jumps all over bree and chases our jack russel ( jake). I keep him on leash the entire time we'er there and trie to correct his behavior, he just has such resiliance. He also mouths on them quite a bit. Im so thankful that our other dogs are very tolerant of the new nephew. At this point i just dont really know what to do so.

There are times when he calms down and we can all peacfully co-exsist for a half hour or so.

I should also mention that when i come in bree is pretty excited too and i think it escalates Appa's excitement.

Any suggestions. My parents absolutley want me to be able to bring my dog on family outings and christmas, and any other time that i just happen to stop by.

Suggestions?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Appa the terrorist at my parents house.. suggestions?

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Is there a way to keep Appa separate from the other dogs until he calms down? Like with a baby gate, where he can see what is going on but can't jump right in the action, and then you could treat and praise him when he is calm. Then maybe he could just be with one of the other dogs at a time?

Also when they are all calm, then what? Does Appa and the other dogs get praise and treats for being calm? I know I often forget to praise my dogs when they are being "good doggies".

These are just my ideas. I am certain someone on this forum has a better way to approach this situation.

I think it is going to be some work because it is not something you do every single day. It also sounds VERY exciting to me so you can imagine it is quite exciting for your pup.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm

How old is Appa?

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 am

5 months old, he does get praise for being calm, probably not enough. I guess im afraid that if i praise him for the behavior he'll just get excited again from the praise.

There is a baby gate but it doesnt exactly hook up to the doors. Our rotty is afraid of it when it falls so if shes behind it, she wont touch it. We have seperated her with the gate to give her a break so to speak from all the goings on. But since she isnt really the start of the problem i feel bad for her an take her outside for a few mins of just " us" time.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby KanersHuman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:48 am

Take a cage. Put him in there until he calms down. He may never calm down but if he's like Kaner he will learn that still calm puppy equals free from cage puppy.

My cousin has two female pits. Kaner would freak out there like a kid at chuckee cheese. We started caging him. The first two visits he was caged the entire time. The next visit he was let out and he behaved for a while but then got to excited and went back in the cage. 4th visit as soon as we walked into their house he walked near the sofa and layed down and stayed their the whole visit. He earned his freedom. Now he's perfectly calm when he goes there.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 am

I would definitely start working on calming exercises at home, away from the other two, before trying to take him there.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 am

Breezy833 wrote: im afraid that if i praise him for the behavior he'll just get excited again from the praise.

Then calm down your praise! It doesn't have to be exciting cheerleading, it can be soothing quiet speaking and gentle easy stroking, too.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 am

Amie wrote:
Breezy833 wrote: im afraid that if i praise him for the behavior he'll just get excited again from the praise.

Then calm down your praise! It doesn't have to be exciting cheerleading, it can be soothing quiet speaking and gentle easy stroking, too.

When we walk if Trooper is being good and we even say "good boy" in a regular conversational tone he gets totally amped up again. We had to learn to just give him an ear scratch for praise because what we wanted to do, and what we usually do caused him to display the behavior we didn't want (mostly pulling, but sometimes not ignoring other dogs). At home however, I go all out. I am totally a cheerleader! (clapping and jumping included)

I agree with Allison-you've got to try to proof his behavior without distractions. It doesn't really sound like you have the opportunity to limit/expose him in doses to this specific stimuli, but I'm sure there are other things you can control that excite him. Try using his calming training around those...then when you ask for it at your parents’ house it isn't such a farfetched idea.

5 months can be tough-still a puppy, almost a teenager. Stay consistent!

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 am

When we walk if Trooper is being good and we even say "good boy" in a regular conversational tone he gets totally amped up again.

This tends to be the case.

I'm gonna talk to my parents about getting another crate.

In regaurds to calming excercises He's incredibly calm at home, and i guess i dont really know how to execute calm training.

is there a topic here that i could refer to ?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I believe this is THE book recommended regarding canine calming signals and using them:
http://www.amazon.com/On-Talking-Terms- ... 1929242360

Here is a short synopsis of one of the author's seminars:
http://diamondsintheruff.com/calmingsignals.html

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Kind of off topic, but not totally....
My offer still stands, if you ever want to meet up for training. All you have to do is get to Madison Heights (Troy in the winter. We rent indoor space, both places are right off 75.) you and your pup can work with us for free (except in the winter, its about $10 each for building rental for 2 or 3 hours, unless you don't mind training outside...we don't mind either way). Either me or my training partner are available almost any day or time. I know gas is pricey, but even if you could make it everyother week to training and work at home (we can help by phone or email in between), you and your pup can make serious progress. We would have to see you in person at least twice a month to see your progress, adjust exercises, and give you new things to work on, but I understand your situation and we can work with you. Neither of us make this offer very often and we don't offer free training to anyone, but I have seen the effort you are making here on PBF and that is a big deal for us. PM me. :)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 pm

^^^WOW^^^

That's an awesome offer! OP I hope you take it :)

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Def take her offer!!!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 pm

i'd love to! :cheers:

Thank you so much, Its been so long since i've had a puppy we could definately benefit.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Just wanted to share an update!!! Breezy and Appa have come down for a few training sessions so far and they are making some really good progress! The two of them are a joy to work with and both are catching on quickly. We are starting things out fairly slowly to build a nice solid foundation and better harness his drive. Appa is quickly becoming one of my favorite dogs to have worked with. I see nothing but good things in their future. :)

My favorite photo of the two of them from today... a bit blurry since all I had was my phone, but still a cute shot.

Return to “Training and Behavior”