any remedy for salt water ingestion?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

any remedy for salt water ingestion?

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:53 pm

So I went to the dog beach for the first time (kept Ruby on lead) - and I think we found her new calling! She turned into a barking-grumbling-whining fiend for the waves!! I had no idea I had such a water gremlin! (hopefully ursaminor here got some video of that - I was amazed!)

But........... within an hour she got to the point of clear liquid diarrhea! YUK! And now that we are home, she drank enough fresh water to make her barf up her 7am breakfast (it's noon:30 now).

Is there anything I should to do to offset the salt water ingestion?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: any remedy for salt water ingestion?

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I just fast, let them drink and let them have access to a place where they can spray water out of their butt.

So if the weather's nice - she could hang outside for a while...
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks.... what does one do for a habitual salt water drinker - avoid it altogether or just regulate the frequency. Too bad her hips suck or I'd look into water sports for my water fiend :( But I'm not sure I want to repeat this - I was AMAZED by the force of the expulsion and was very worried about an explosion in the car! - guess we've never had true cannon butt before LOL :wow
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 pm

We always bring plenty of fresh water and a bowl for beach outings. As soon as Molly tries to drink the ocean, we get her water out for her. We also walk her afterwards (away from the beach) so that she can throw up/diarrhea if she needs to - this usually only happens on trips where she hasn't been to the ocean for several months or we go to a new spot (like when we're up in OR or WA state).
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 am

Salt water can really mess up the water chemistry of the entire body, including the brain, so its important to give them free access to fresh water, they will need to drink enough to dilute out all the salt they've just ingested.

Bring a lot of fresh water when you go to the beach, and do everything in your power to prevent her from ingesting salt water.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Now an afterthought......... I gave Ruby her heartworm+other worms pill by or before 8am ... and she puked up whole kibbles at 11:30 am upon our return from the beach........ what should I do about this month's heartworm prevention? We are very mild here much like Florida and DO have mosquitoes.......? I half assumed that it had broken down into liquid and gotten digested but then she had water spraying out of her hind end so should I assume all was lost and re-dose her?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Hmm, I have no clue how long it takes for the heartworm pill to break down – do you dose her every four weeks or every six weeks? In my previous research on the subject, I seem to remember reading that it's ok if you miss a dose one month but if you go for several months without a dose, a heartworm test is recommended before resuming. We go without preventative up here but Molly gets tested twice a year.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Now an afterthought......... I gave Ruby her heartworm+other worms pill by or before 8am ... and she puked up whole kibbles at 11:30 am upon our return from the beach........ what should I do about this month's heartworm prevention? We are very mild here much like Florida and DO have mosquitoes.......? I half assumed that it had broken down into liquid and gotten digested but then she had water spraying out of her hind end so should I assume all was lost and re-dose her?

Its perfectly safe to dose her again 2-3 days after the pill that got puked. Thats what I would do.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues