*Whack a tail*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:00 pm

just a quick update..
the SuperGlue is working for one full day so far!! As I put it on late last night and went to reapply , and the second application so far was not needed as it is nice and SEALED shut!
:))

*knocks on wood*
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Salival » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:12 pm

I have this problem with Rue too. The only thing that I do to prevent this is actually grabbing his tail, and in the process it actually keeps him calmer :)) So two birds with one stone, until I let go that is. But yes, welts, blood on the walls, pants, floors and it is not a pretty sight.

I know some people will put a syringe around the tip of the tail and tape it before people come over but I don't know how well that works.

This is also the biggest arguement against the docking ban. Some breeds benefit from it greatly. And amputating this late in life it horribly painful for dogs :( I hope the super glue works! Bandaging never really works with dogs like ours, they would spend more time knawing on it, and we would spend more time wrapping.
Salival
Super Bully

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:23 pm

yea .. I do the "grab the tail thing too", I look like an idiot..l o l but it does stop at least some of the whacking...
the syringe thing was posted here,,but I was trying not to draw her attention to it, as she was ignoring it...the more stuff I put on her the more she begins to notice it of course...
Was thinking if the glue doesnt work is
wrapping in soft 2 x 2 gauze, putting a condom over it , then ducktaping it over.. so she cant chew it off, but this will be my drastic move.
As I dont know if she could get the duct tape off...but worry of course of her eating any of this crap.
gez.
dogs.

I too dont want to dock any thing as an adult dog, and prefer full dogs to anything..but with her ears all sideways and one always goopy and her tail now whacking its self off.. I think I am requestioning docking..
haha.
But just as in human plastic surgery..
some is necessary and beneficial and some is just "eye" candy cosmetics that dont always make any sense! :roll:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby mnp13 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Salival wrote:This is also the biggest arguement against the docking ban. Some breeds benefit from it greatly. And amputating this late in life it horribly painful for dogs :( I hope the super glue works! Bandaging never really works with dogs like ours, they would spend more time knawing on it, and we would spend more time wrapping.

The docking bans generally don't refer to medical reasons. However, you are correct, docking as an adult is very painful. connor's tail still hurts him and his surgery was over a year ago. Ruby has no pain, but hers was done at about a week old.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Salival » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:49 am

mnp13 wrote:
Salival wrote:This is also the biggest arguement against the docking ban. Some breeds benefit from it greatly. And amputating this late in life it horribly painful for dogs :( I hope the super glue works! Bandaging never really works with dogs like ours, they would spend more time knawing on it, and we would spend more time wrapping.

The docking bans generally don't refer to medical reasons. However, you are correct, docking as an adult is very painful. connor's tail still hurts him and his surgery was over a year ago. Ruby has no pain, but hers was done at about a week old.

Michelle

Oh no I meant docking as pups :oops: You know how other countries have banned cropping/docking altogether, so as the dogs age it sometimes becomes needed to amputate.
Salival
Super Bully

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:37 pm

oooo a year later and the dog still is painful from the tail dock! EEEeee
all the more reason for my misson to "save the tail!!!!"
:0)
The glue is holding tight !!
**fingers crossed**

I still know one good WHACK-attack and we will have a bust open tho.. so yup..still running around holding her tail..
trying not to let her be happy isnt working..
although she does calm down for nose kissies...
:roll:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:45 pm

I too am having killer pitty tail problems! My walls are covered in blood and we tried every concievable bandage, syringe, sock. etc... covering possible! She is just too friggin' happy and they fly off. I never thought I would wish for a foster to go into a depression! lol I'll have to read through this thread a bit more and see if there is anything I haven't tried. I can't wait till the nicer weather is here and we can hang out in the yard all day and there is less chance of her smackin' it off things!
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Salavial's Rue had "whack a tail" and she suggested letting the scar tissue build up.
Which made sense , everything I was putting on in the way of gauze and goop and stickies stuff was keeping the skin soft and I think easier split open.
BUT , it is still whacking open, but now we are to dark strips or stripes of blood and not so much "spurting" of fresh blood.
Her tail still looks like crap ola if you look really close ..ugh.
(lucky for me she is dark black..but in the light the other day she had red blood stipes all over her sides.....gez..)
But I think the medical superglue (available at WalGreens and I am sure WalMarts too) worked the best at slowing the "flow" of the blood when she whacked it.

I am keeping a close eye on it tho for any signs of pus or infection ,etc.
And trying to keep her clear of whacking it on things.

I do NOT want to have to start cutting her tail off, as I think it was Michelle and some other dog friends said to me in "real"time, in adult dogs this can be VERY painful (you would think whacking it that hard would be painful for jeppers sake!)

Good Luck.
and yup..you will be like me cleaning the blood off your walls and cupboards all the time.
which does make for interesting phone conversations..
"whatcha doing"
"oh cleaning blood off the walls again"
"ohhh...ahhh..ahh..gez.. " :roll:
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby stella » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:08 pm

Yeah, we've had a few of our shelter pitties whack their tails open from being so damn happy in their kennels -its quite shocking when you see it the first time - kind of like a scene from "The Shining". eek

We used a combo of gauze and "Vet Wrap", and putting the dogs in crates for awhile with bones or toys to keep them calm and less stimulated. I have heard that super glue also works great if the site is very clean.

Good luck.
stella
Matured Bully

Postby ChoppersDad » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:04 am

Man, this has got me scared.

When I pull in the driveway, I can hear Chopper at the front door. He stands there so happy that his tail is whacking the wall next to the door. I can hear it all the way from my driveway.

When I have company over, they all know Chopper. All the guys cover up their jewels and the girls dont even want to come near him till he calms down. They all end up with "hooker legs" from the bruises.

:oops: :)
ChoppersDad

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:41 pm

*WELL* knock on Wood (and not with a tail) Leaving the whacker tail alone does seem to be working. We still get a few stripes here and there, but I think ...*BIG THINK* that like Salavial said, scar tissue is starting to build up in Scooters tail. It isnt excatly growing hair in the area that is really whacked, but it seems to be pretty much closed over now for almost a week!!

*high five-waggin tails*

good luck there Choppers Dad, do you tell people the same think I do, WATCH THE TAIL, it is the most dangerous thing on the dog!! (well unless you have yummy food in your hand.....)
:thumbsup:
Gooo Scooter.. lets hope the tissue continues to build and we can continue to keep this lil mess under control!
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues