Brother's pup is sick

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Brother's pup is sick

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:07 am

Sounds like pretty standard advice to me.

Most vets are against raw feeding.

Many people here are horrified that I feed chicken and corn in a bag (otherwise known as Hills j/d) but my dogs do really well on it and that my barometer. I just agree to disagree. C'est la vie!

What I WOULD do would be to feed a bland diet for a few days-- boiled chicken and rice would be good-- and keep a close eye on him. A 10 week old puppy can crash fast from vomiting and diarrhea.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Puppies grow incredibly quickly and raw diets are notoriously bad for growth due to the extreme nutritional needs of animals that reach adulthood in such a short period of time. There are numerous examples of puppies on home-prepared diets with severe malformations secondary to inappropriate diet.

I agree that "dietary indiscretion" is the most likely cause for the puppies vomiting, particularly if he's doing better now, but I still think home prepared diets are a bad choice for puppies when there are so many alternative options available.

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I've had some of the same concerns. We'er treating demodex and i talked with my vet, told him i've been doing A LOT of reading on line in regards to it. I saw a thread on here that suggested you treat the demodex from the inside out in conjunction with vets medication. Better food, vitamin C, Fish oil? Hes dismissed it all saying that the food doesnt really matter. I dont really know how to feel about his position on this matter because almost EVERYTHING i read says that food and suppliments DO matter. Also that they could help aliviate the demodex quicker.

In your case brothers case i would feed a bland diet. Whats to lose?

Return to “Health Issues”