food not digesting?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

food not digesting?

Postby r1balla » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:48 am

give you some past hx, my pit is about 8 months and she has gained about 8 pounds in the past 5 - 6 weeks. that being said, i feed her blue buffalo wilderness puppy formula. grain free. This past weekend i took her to the dog park then to the beach and on the way home she puked and up came her breakfast but it didnt look digested at all. the whole kibbles came out. She also had a runny stool during the day. do you think this is from dehydration? drinking too much salt water? but why wouldnt she be digesting it? how long does it normally take? i fed her around 9AM and she puked around 3PM thanks guys
r1balla
Newborn Bully

Re: food not digesting?

Postby r1balla » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:59 pm

bump
r1balla
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Could be lots of things.

Saltwater is dangerous - do not let your dog drink it.

If your dog continues to vomit or has any other symptoms you should take your dog to a veterinarian.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:11 pm

This could be many reasons. The most probable is from the salt water intake. It'll make just about any dog sick. Then you've taken her to the dog park to pick up who knows what all germs, flu bugs, and such. You should read the Dog Park thread in General ASAP, and also read the thread just a few down in Health on another dog with the same issues after ingesting salt water. The resident vet gave her suggestions in there, as well as other members.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby r1balla » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm

maybe i worded my question wrong.... i understand salt intake is dangerous. She has thrown up before because of medication from getting fixed and same thing happened. she throws up her breakfast in whole pieces like her food hasnt been digested. she has only puked twice (i think) since i have had her and both times it has been at least 5 hours since breakfast and she pukes up straight up dog food in whole pieces. is she not digesting it?
r1balla
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am

r1balla wrote:maybe i worded my question wrong.... i understand salt intake is dangerous. She has thrown up before because of medication from getting fixed and same thing happened. she throws up her breakfast in whole pieces like her food hasnt been digested. she has only puked twice (i think) since i have had her and both times it has been at least 5 hours since breakfast and she pukes up straight up dog food in whole pieces. is she not digesting it?

Typical gastric emptying time for a dog is 4 hours, but it can take longer for some dogs and they will be normal. If your dog is playing, this can also delay digestion.

Saltwater is well known for causing vomiting. If your dog was playing, then I'm not surprised there was partially digested food in her stomach.

Don't let your dog drink saltwater or do other things that may cause vomiting (eat grass or other foreign objects, give excessive treats, etc.), and if your dog continues you should see a veterinarian. It takes an exam, x-rays, and often more testing to diagnose intermittent vomiting, which can be caused by a long list of problems.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm

I think that's normal ... my dog has puked up whole kibbles too before - hours after a meal. Obviously she doesn't chew them all on the way in.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby r1balla » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm

thanks. shes only thrown up twice. once from the beach and the other from the pain meds from getting spade. she wasnt drinking the salt walter, but she was rolling in the water and stuff so im sure she swallowed some. just weird to me that 7 hours later her kibbles are still whole pieces and havent passed.
r1balla
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues