Oral flea medication - anyone tried?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Oral flea medication - anyone tried?

Postby Siberian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:30 am

with a toddler in a house, and me being pregnant, I have been very weary of using topicals on Sheba. So I have found out about oral anti-flea medicine called Comfortis. Seems like there are some side effects, but again, everything can have side effects.... Has anyone tried it on their dogs? How did it go?
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Re: Oral flea medication - anyone tried?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:41 am

We used it and loved it! We're now on Trifexis because it includes the heartworm (and some other worms too)...and we liked the idea of only giving one pill vs. two (heartguard).

The thing is, I don't think either protect against ticks. Where we live ticks aren't too bad, and we have our yard/house sprayed regularly...but every once in a while when we take the dogs for a hike/trail walk we have to check them over for ticks.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am

I use an organic oral on my girls. It's chewables made by Vet's Best. I've had no fleas or ticks on it.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

We've been using Trifexis for more than a year and no side effects - I hate giving her more chemicals but it is so much better than messing around with the topical stuff...
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby bethh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm

I've used Program for over 8 years, no problems - my jrt can't tolerate topicals.
I've tried Comfortis, but she won't touch the tablets - can't even hide it in a hot dog.
bethh
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

bethh wrote:I've tried Comfortis, but she won't touch the tablets - can't even hide it in a hot dog.

We have a pestle and mortar and we grind it up and either put it in a can of wet food or add a little at a time to doggy ice cream.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 am

A friend uses Comfortis on their 5 (!) dogs and it works OK, not perfectly but there *are 5 dogs and the yard has dirt/plants/poultry; I have better success with Frontline Plus but have just 1 dog, a yard that is mostly pavers, and of course B needs tick control.

My other friend uses AcuGuard for his dog and says it's great flea control, but swears his dog seems itchier than usual even though we have both flea-combed him at different times with unremarkable results.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Siberian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks guys,
so I got a prescription for comfortis, but seems like the size I need is sold out and backordered everywhere, including my vet. I found few places that sell it without prescription, and ship it from Canada. Would you trust those? I am a little lost...
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Return to Health Issues