Question about dosage for Tramadol?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Question about dosage for Tramadol?

Postby turtle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

My old dog was given a prescription for Tramadol for pain, the dosage is a 50 mg pill once or twice a day.

A friend of mine also has a prescription for Tramadol, also 50 mg pills and his dose is 1 pill every 4 to 6 hours.

Now this is a 200 pound man and my dog is 50 pounds... So is the dog's dosage too much? Seems like a human dosage would be more than for a 50 pound dog?

I am thinking I will cut the dog's pills in half as I do not want to give her too much. It just seemed odd to me that the dosage was the same.

Any thoughts or feedback? Anyone else used Tramadol on their dogs?

Thanks!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Question about dosage for Tramadol?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Dogs have about 60% more blood than humans based on body weight. This means that most drugs require higher doses for dogs that for people.

I generally prescribe tramadol to be administered every 8 hours, and every 6 hours for severe pain like cancer pain or debilitating orthopedic disease.

I would continue to administer the dose as prescribed by your veterinarian. The dose range for tramadol is pretty wide, and so is its safety margin. If you would like me to look at your dose, please PM me the dose and body weight of your dog. I will not put dosing information in a public viewing area - its illegal.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Question about dosage for Tramadol?

Postby heartbullies » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 am

^ This. A 50mg tablet given twice (or 3 times) per day is a dosage I've seen prescribed very often for dogs, based on their weight (and I'm not talking 200-lb Giant breeds, either!) Hopefully that helps relieve some worry, along with MK's post. This dosing doesn't automatically sound alarmingly high to me, though I'm also assuming you don't own a half-pound Chi puppy. :D I'd follow the vet's dosage instructions. If on that prescription, you think your dog is too sleepy or still in pain, then definitely consult the vet. There may be other options for dosing or even for the type of medication.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Return to Health Issues