Bump?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bump?

Postby MissKitty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:45 pm

For about 3 weeks Apollo has had a strange black-ish/red bump, about the size of a pinhead on his back. It bursts and bleeds a little, then forms a round ball and repeats.

I went to the vet today but due to my sporadic school schedule I was not able to get my regular vet.
Yesterday the little ball was there, when I went in this morning it had burst so the vet only saw it when it looked like a scab.

So this vet was not worried about it being cancerous, said we could do a biopsy but didn't really suggest that route. He said he believes it is either a blood blister or 'lymphangectesia' (his writing is really hard to read but that is what I think he wrote down, I am going to call them tomorrow and get the actual name).
He ended up freezing the bump and said it would scab up and fall off.

Does this sound right? Has anyone heard of lymphangectesia or something like it?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Bump?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 am

Lymphangectasia is a chronic form of protein losing enteropathy so I'm not sure if that's what he meant? We have a dog at our clinic who suffers from it. It's relatively rare, and her main symptom is an inability to maintain a healthy weight.

Buddy has similar little bumps all over, more and more as she ages. They too break open and bleed and scab. Then we wait to see if they regrow. If so, we snip them out with a local. Here is one that I'm watching:

They are benign, just annoying.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Lymphangiectasia actually means dilated lymphatic vessels... so I'm assuming he means a small lymphatic vessel in that part of the skin would be clogged and unable to drain lymph away.
Like Allison said it can happen in the intestines too but that doesn't sound like what's going on with your dog.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Hmm maybe that's it Pitsburgher. Kat, I've asked a couple of doctors here and I've looked through our derm text books and no one knows/I can't find anything about lymphangiectasia as a lump.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks guys!

PITtsburgher, that is *exactly* how the vet explained it over the phone.
I was only able to come up with the scary intestine thing on Google, though.

Thank you Allison for the reassurance and doing all that research for me!

I am having a phone consultation (and possible office visit) with my regular vet, just to be sure :)
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:05 am

I'm glad it's nothing serious! I'd love to know more about it if you get any other insight from your regular vet, Kat!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Yeah let us know! I'm curious now :)
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues