Looking for some rescue resources in nj

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Looking for some rescue resources in nj

Postby laurxj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:19 am

Hello everyone! It's been quite some time since I've posted here. I have an estimated 2 year old rescued little pitty that I adopted when I lived in NC, and sadly recently I lost my beautiful special needs dalmatian, sienna, to renal failure at about 17 years old. I adopted sienna about 6 years ago and she opened my eyes to a different pace in life, because of her I am now a vet tech at a large emergency animal hospital in bergen county. Well, the reason for today's post is Shelby and I are looking to add a new member to our family :) I am reaching out to see if anyone knows of any special needs rescues in the tri state area, or knows of any little guys that need some special attention looking for their forever home. Any suggestions are truly appreciated!! I love this site and all you pitty lovers!! Thank you!
laurxj
Newborn Bully

Re: Looking for some rescue resources in nj

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 am

Have you checked out PetFinder for those locations? They will note in there if the dog is special needs. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I saw a dog from a Facebook share named Merp today, whose owner died and he ended up back at BARCS. He looked so sad, I felt really sorry for him, I don't think he was a special needs dog, unless sad counts. I don't know if Baltimore is anywhere near you, especially after the hurricane. There are tons of pit bulls there, if it is anywhere near you.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 pm

you could try PBRC http://www.pbrc.net/ can search by locale...
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Check out Street Tails Animal Rescue in Philly - they are a great rescue group specializing in animals with extra medical needs. They get most of their dogs from ACCT, our animal control and adoption facility here.
You can also keep an eye on the Philly Urgents page on facebook (ACCT dogs), or contact ACCT directly and let them know what you are looking for. They get SO many dogs, plenty with medical needs, that I am sure they would love to send a foster or adoption your way :)
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Megan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

The rescue I foster for is located in PA, however we have foster homes in NJ, NY and OH. We have many dogs available for adoption currently. I know we a few elderbulls who are just awesome. I am not sure if we have any that are truely "special needs" at this time other than Dahilia. She is simply AMAZING and has I believe Wobblers Syndrom. She is good with other dogs, loves everyone--and is doing better than was expected in her foster home. I love that girl!

http://www.lcpoinc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They pull from NY ACCT and Philly ACCT. They also work with a rescue-only shelter in Ohio, and various local shelters who work with us.
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Megan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 am

Missed my edit time!

How can I forget "joey pit" he has been passed up many times because he is Deaf. Such a sweetheart and loves cats! I got to meet him at PBAD two weekends ago and he was such a gentleman!

Sunny is also special needs. She has been undergoing orthopediac treatment. I'm not sure if she has been released yet for adoption.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA794.html
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs