New to the breed and group

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New to the breed and group

Postby lizonka » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:39 am

Hello,

My family and I just adopted a rescue dog, pit/weimar mix, named Vikka. She's GORGEOUS! Has the coloring of a weimar. She's about 1-1 1/2 and recovering from an FHO. She's an absolute sweetie. I have two boys, six and 22 mos. Vikka and the kids get along well. She still occasionally barks at my husband but that is improving. I've had lots of dog experience, but this is my first time with these breeds. I quickly established myself as the alpha and she is responding appropriately. We've had her for two days and so far she appears to be highly trainable and eager to please. She's well crate-trained and housebroken already. (yeah!)

I know enough about the breed that the media completely vilified them, so I was not concerned with having a pit with young kids. Not to mention she's a mix not full.

I look forward to getting to know the breed better and learn tips and techniques for training.

Thanks!
Liz
lizonka
Newborn Bully

Re: New to the breed and group

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:47 am

Welcome! I hope you stick around to learn all you can.

First things first, we are pretty much united around here on the "alpha" nonsense as being just that-- nonsense. The dominance theory has been disproven over and over as ineffective and based on bad research and misinterpretation of wolf behavior.

All that being said, I would encourage you to do some research on why "actin alpha" can actually be hugely detrimental to your dog and why it's really an unfair tactic to use, especially given the fact that you have only just brought this dog home.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Either in the general section or the training and behavior section is a sticky called "Two weeks....give'em a break". I think it would be very beneficial to you, your family and the new dog if you read and implemented the suggestions within that sticky.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby spammie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi and welcome to PBF. This is the place to learn about the breed, and, dogs in general. Please read the stickys at the beginning of each section. They're packed with wisdom. I second that you should start with the "two weeks..gimme a break" thread. I use it to introduce new fosters into my home. And, as always, never leave a dog of any breed alone with small children.
:modwelcomeonly1:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions