Low Urine Flow

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Low Urine Flow

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm

...FML... we've gone from over pooping to under peeing. So I need some advice from you all.

Capone has had 6 months of difficult poop issues. We finally have a decent handle on it. (1 week and counting)

Tomorrow I'm going to need to take him to the vet AGAIN for the other body waste - urine.
(As I'm sure most of you know, your dog will never get sick on a normal day, they wait until a holiday weekend to get sick.)

So, today Capone has limited flow. So much so that if he was peeing he either dripped like absinthe OR he peed as if he was giving a fairy a shower. It is painful to him but he does seem to void his bladder after a long time outside.

He's always had weird pee issues. He sometimes has lighter flow or a normal stream. Often it means if he shifts or walks around it is 'ok' and back to normal. Soemtimes it is after he poops. Well tonight he pooped, but still had flow issues. My biggest thought today is, he's on prednisone for the poop and it means he drinks even more which means more pee, save us all.

I've got all kinds of ideas running through my head, but I'm trying to step back from my dooms day health diagnosis.
Capone, 65 lbs, 4 yrs old, relatively healthy, currently diagnosing IBS/chrons/etc., been in our home since 15 weeks old

bladder stones?
bladder cancer?
kidney stones?
other growths inside?
wth?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Low Urine Flow

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm

I should also say from what I can see he has no blood in the urine. It is still his normal very clear yet still stinky pee.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:05 pm

It could be a simple UTI. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find an easy-to-diagnose, simple-to-fix issue!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:43 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:It could be a simple UTI. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find an easy-to-diagnose, simple-to-fix issue!

No kidding! Me too! Poor guy has been through the ringer over the last 6 months. Thanks.

You would have thought the 1+ week of Cipro would have taken care of any infection in him.
Right now he's snoozing, but I turned my back for 30mins and ignored him... yup we had a river downstairs. damn it. I cleaned it up and expect that there will be more by morning. Poor thing. :(
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 pm

was your vet open today, if so what did vet say it is?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 pm

My cat with IBD got a really bad series of UTIs when she had a really bad prolonged IBD flare up of diarrhea. VERY possible it's an UTI and may just need a longer antibiotic series or a different antibiotic. Prolonged UTIs also will lead to crystals and then stones and it could have progressed to that point.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:10 pm

pblove wrote:was your vet open today, if so what did vet say it is?

Vet was open today, husband home with Capone, flow normal if not HUGE.
Explain, how that can happen ?!?!?!?

Murfins wrote:My cat with IBD got a really bad series of UTIs when she had a really bad prolonged IBD flare up of diarrhea. VERY possible it's an UTI and may just need a longer antibiotic series or a different antibiotic. Prolonged UTIs also will lead to crystals and then stones and it could have progressed to that point.

THIS is good to know! THANK YOU! <sigh> so even if he has not had prolonged UTIs is there a quick progressing stone or crystal? I'll ask too, but hey, why not ask here right?

So, since this morning, I left a message for the vet and he did not give me a call back until he was in the office (shock-he has a life too!) I decided that since the flow was flowing we would not go in today. I'll either take a sample tomorrow or Wednesday or some more Tylan & food PLUS, they will get t-o-n-s of time to observe him over the next week since he'll be there for boarding. They are good at keeping tabs on their health so I'm pretty sure they can address it as it 'develops'.

It is funny, it's been years since we've had a dog with health issues. I do not miss the figuring out stage and the constant back and forth to the vet.

Before they suggest something, urine test wise, is there a test I should be requesting in particular?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 pm

A simple urinalysis is a good start. To be 100% sure it is or is not an infection, a urine culture by cystocentesis (use a needle and syringe to get urine directly from the bladder) is the next step. When things are clear-cut in a young healthy dog I will skip it, if there is any question, or if there is any risk of antibiotic resistance or poor immune system, this can make things much more clear as well as ensuring appropriate treatment. A rectal exam to check the prostate is another good idea.

If everything is clear and you still see problems, I would be looking for bladder stones.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:A simple urinalysis is a good start. To be 100% sure it is or is not an infection, a urine culture by cystocentesis (use a needle and syringe to get urine directly from the bladder) is the next step. When things are clear-cut in a young healthy dog I will skip it, if there is any question, or if there is any risk of antibiotic resistance or poor immune system, this can make things much more clear as well as ensuring appropriate treatment. A rectal exam to check the prostate is another good idea.

If everything is clear and you still see problems, I would be looking for bladder stones.

ahh... and thus you should meet Capone. Poor immune system seems to be in his future. That and a finger up his bum is in his future lol
Thanks MissKiwi, I think I'm going to ask directly for the needle. I was tryiing to imagine what would be the best way, ultra sounds etc. I was having these horrible thoughts of his bladder looking like a Dalmatian's. Those are horrific looking when they are full of stones. so sad.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Murfins wrote:My cat with IBD got a really bad series of UTIs when she had a really bad prolonged IBD flare up of diarrhea. VERY possible it's an UTI and may just need a longer antibiotic series or a different antibiotic. Prolonged UTIs also will lead to crystals and then stones and it could have progressed to that point.

I was thinking about this later and realised there is a very big difference other than cat vs dog ... my cat is female. A little different location of the urethra and thus contamination causing UTIs. :oops:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Murfins wrote:
I was thinking about this later and realised there is a very big difference other than cat vs dog ... my cat is female. A little different location of the urethra and thus contamination causing UTIs. :oops:

But dogs lick one and then the other - same difference...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 am

Ah ha, didn't think of that! :thumbsup:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Murfins wrote:Ah ha, didn't think of that! :thumbsup:

well that makes a lot of sense. I did not think of that either. When you get so wrapped up in the big stuff, the little stuff escapes me.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Have you found out anything yet, diagnosis-wise?
Antibiotics seem to mess up Roscoe, I kept thinking he had a uti because he would have accidents in his crate and have to go out all the time, but it would clear up once he was done with the antibiotics. Could any of the medications he's on be causing this?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for asking
Well, truth be told, I'm waiting until Saturday. He goes to board at the vet Saturday which means a car ride. For Capone, a car ride is the worse stress ever. It is horrific. Which also means that his poop will be horrible. Which also means he will be hyper vigilant for a day of two. When ever his stress level rises like when the deer cross the yard he regresses health wise.

I just don't want to hurt his poor little system even more. I realize if he has infection I'm delaying that but I'm honestly not sure which is worse for him. Despite being quite a beast, I sometimes think of him as being made of glass, especially when it comes to cars, buses and stressful life things.

So, last night I was doing some research regarding his poop issues. It got me into the other related protein urine issues. I have a feeling this is going to be a long voyage into sick dog syndrome. The possibilities were endless associating them to protein insufficiencies. Then it became some kind of "House" episode with amyloidosis etc. So, I'm now waiting until they do urinalysis and more urinalysis. Cross your fingers.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues