Hello - Help with Pharaoh Pit Mix

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello - Help with Pharaoh Pit Mix

Postby Steampunker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm curious on the opinion of you Pit owners if you believe this little girl who is listed as a Pharaoh/Pit mix actually looks very Pit like. The reason I ask is because I believe if she's just listed as Pharaoh mix and DOESN'T look too Pit like then perhaps the apartment complex I live in won't give me grief. If she does look too Pit then I won't put her through the process of finding a home just to lose it again, despite what her paperwork states.

I was thinking she may be able to pass as Pharaoh and Boxer - which isn't listed on the banned list for the complex.

What do you guys and gals think? I appreciate the feedback!

Steampunker
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello - Help with Pharaoh Pit Mix

Postby LizIs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Honestly, it's tough to say. Most people have a hard time correctly identifying what a "pit bull" is anyway. And when mixed with other breeds it's almost impossible to say for sure.
http://www.pbrc.net/poppysplace/games/AdultFindabull/findpitbull_v4.html

However, rental properties with banned breeds don't need to prove anything. They just have to think your dog looks a certain way to make their case. If you're uncertain, I wouldn't risk it. Unless you can get something official in writing from the landlord saying that this specific dog has permission to live there and is not considered to be of a banned breed... you're taking a risk that won't be fair to her.

Plus, if she's already listed as a Pit Mix somewhere (is she at a shelter or rescue?) then all it would take was a web search for the landlord or a nosy neighbor to bust you. I hate places with breed bans but the only way to fight them is through changing minds with consistent positive PR for the breed. Trying to sneak around the rules only backfires in the end.

She is gorgeous though! :inlove:
LizIs
Newborn Bully

Postby vicarious » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Your pup could be so many different mixes. Pharaoh hound wouldn't be likely as they aren't a particularly common breed but I suppose it depends on your area. Kind of looks like a Plott hound mix to me! Gorgeous.
vicarious
Newborn Bully

Postby Steampunker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 am

LizIs wrote:
Plus, if she's already listed as a Pit Mix somewhere (is she at a shelter or rescue?) then all it would take was a web search for the landlord or a nosy neighbor to bust you. I hate places with breed bans but the only way to fight them is through changing minds with consistent positive PR for the breed. Trying to sneak around the rules only backfires in the end.

She is gorgeous though! :inlove:

She is at a shelter. I'm going to talk to the shelter people to see just how they came to that conclusion because the whole Pharaoh aspect alone is probably incorrect so they may be wrong about the Pit side too. I think mostly they just guestimate what a dog is when it comes in and in cases of trying to place dogs in homes, they should only list Pit if they are somehow completely positive that it really is a Pit mix. This dog seems questionable if it really is a Pit just based on looks alone (in my opinion). :)
Steampunker
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Why not talk to the head of your complex? Take her picture and say you wanted to double check it's okay you got a dog and she was the one you were considering?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

You should also request a new lease agreement to be drawn up by the management of the apartment complex to include this particular dog.

When we adopted our dog, we created an addendum to our lease agreement with our landlord and negotiated a fair pet deposit which we paid and both we and our landlord have signed copies of the addendum to include our dog in our lease agreement. This doesn't mean that our landlord cannot change the terms of our lease at will but it protects us from any claims of violating lease agreements due to having a dog that was not present when we first entered into the rental agreement with the landlord.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Steampunker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

So I asked the Shelter how they determined she had Pit mix. Their reply:

"The coloration, almond shaped eyes and broad skull make her look "bully" and most apartment complexes would like consider her a pit bull upon seeing the dog. I would recommend showing a photo to your management office to see if they would make an exception on the dog due to her appearance. We do not do DNA testing here and identify breeds by their
general appearance and occasionally by behavior exhibited at the shelter."

Not very scientific but there you have it!
Steampunker
Newborn Bully

Postby Steampunker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:29 am

Well I visited her last night and she was super fun. They took off the Pit part of her paperwork because they agreed she didn't look enough like one to put her at risk of not finding a home. Next step is to talk to the apartment complex, show them the paperwork and picture and ask if a Pharaoh Hound mix is ok to have. :)
Steampunker
Newborn Bully

Postby spammie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Would you like to be a member here? Can you tell us about yourself? Here's a sample intro for ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64327
That dog is gorgeous, by the way :inlove:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions