Low Urine Flow

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Low Urine Flow

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Will do.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm

OK, so the vet called Monday (they have him all week while were out of town) and the vet said his urine is the most normal he's ever seen. No infection.

BUT

He said it is very acidic. So much so that he would like us to add baking soda to his diet to get some calcium bicarb into him.
I reminded him that his urine can be stinky, but he really did not think it was a specific symptom or the acid. I asked if he thought there were stones, he said he did not believe so and would think a little more on the low flow issue. The staff is watching to see for low flow, but when it happens it is very intermittent.

So arm chair pee consultants, what do YOU think?
His poop is still firming all the time (stress can change it) but it has been doing ok.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Ultrasound and x-rays rule out stones - not wishes or hopes...

Does your pet eat a high protein diet? If so, thats the most likely cause of acidic urine. Unless there are stones, its not a real concern.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:54 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Ultrasound and x-rays rule out stones - not wishes or hopes...

Does your pet eat a high protein diet? If so, thats the most likely cause of acidic urine. Unless there are stones, its not a real concern.

He had been eating a grain free diet with 30% protein called Annamaet.
http://www.annamaet.com/html/annamaet_g ... ok_do.html

Now he's just been on id-LowFat for his poop issues.
Please reference "plop plop poop" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153918

So he's thinking, Protein-Losing Enteropathy, from IBS. Does this mean he could also have Protein-Losing Nephropathy too??
I've been looking at the 3 different types o stones that can happen in the bladder. The description of the Uric Acid Stone seems 'off' but it does seem to fit the bill compared to the other 2. <sigh>

Thoughts?
Last edited by PitBull-Lady on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:55 am

duplicate
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 am

What is your dogs albumin level? I didn't know about the concerns with PLE.

If the protein was high in the urine, it should have shown up on the urinalysis, but if the urine was concentrated, then sometimes you need a urine protein:creatinine ratio to confirm because the urine concentration also concentrates the protein level.

Uric acid stones are very uncommon, generally associated with dalmations. All stones can cause changes to urine flow, there isn't any stone more likely to cause it than another.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for getting back!
I'll need to leave a message and see what it was. I don't have the printed results.
Even though I know they are more common in Dalmations, with Capone I've learned to rule out nothing lol Honestly the flow problems just come and go. It's almost like he's got an internal inflammation OR blockage.

Guess I just need to do the x-ray and see what is in there. OK, I'll call tomorrow get the results and then request the x-ray. (thanks, for encouraging me to do the obvious, sometimes I need that)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

The x-ray showed little by way of stones. We had an x-ray with an interpretation performed.

*The abdominal cavity is normal. Upon air being placed in the bladder it adequately distended with gas.
*The walls are thin and dorsal aspect of the urinary bladder could not be assessed because the colon was in the way. <guess it’s good his guts are where they are supposed to be>
*Loss of serosal detail <due to lack of fat, pancreatitis?>
*No visual of free gas in the abdomen <guess that's good, he can just keep the gas coming from his rectum>
*No visual of stones <yeah>Further evaluation after enema is recommended.

Thoughts?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Ooh, negative contrast cystogram - excellent workup :D Did your vet do a rectal palpation to feel the prostate? If so, then you've pretty much ruled out all the scary stuff.

I guess between the stool issues and now the urine issues - an ultrasound wouldn't be a terrible idea, but the specific things you are looking for are... well, less specific. So you'd really be doing it to be thorough rather than to rule in/out anything particular.

But like I said, since we've ruled out most anything that would need to be addressed quickly (stones, prostate cancer)... then I think its fine to continue to monitor and see if things change again or get worse.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Did your vet do a rectal palpation to feel the prostate?
*not that he said. Let's face it, we'll be back soon, I'll make sure he gets one done.

an ultrasound wouldn't be a terrible idea
*I agree, at this point, I think I need to wait until something else happens. Hubster may blow a gasket with more tests.

I think its fine to continue to monitor and see if things change again or get worse.
*YEAH! :yipee:

MissKiwi, I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU! :inlove:
I love my vet, but I love getting your opinion. This makes me feel so much better. Mostly because your approach is very aggressive but still reasonable (you work at an Emerg Vet - you require fast!). From what I gather you like to get the info ASAP and use modern diagnostics, but you like to do what is reasonable too. My vet is older and I love hearing his knowledge and moxie as he lays it all out on the table. Honest and real, yet kind and proper. He knows his stuff, and he is (with me) always right, but I like the diagnostic/equipment reassurance and I treasure your assessment.
~ THANK YOU ~
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:
MissKiwi, I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU! :inlove:
I love my vet, but I love getting your opinion. This makes me feel so much better. Mostly because your approach is very aggressive but still reasonable (you work at an Emerg Vet - you require fast!). From what I gather you like to get the info ASAP and use modern diagnostics, but you like to do what is reasonable too. My vet is older and I love hearing his knowledge and moxie as he lays it all out on the table. Honest and real, yet kind and proper. He knows his stuff, and he is (with me) always right, but I like the diagnostic/equipment reassurance and I treasure your assessment.
~ THANK YOU ~

Awe, thanks!!! You totally just made my night...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues