Cracked teeth from raw bones!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cracked teeth from raw bones!

Postby cbr117 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm

My pitbull is 5 yrs old cracked three teeth and needed root canals and crowns. I can no longer feed her raw bones. She has been on the raw food diet for 2 years now. I will stll feed her raw chicken and beef but no raw bones for chewing. How do I supplement her diet with calcium? I will add powdered egg shells but what is the best way to still give her bones? I have heard about pressure cooking them till soft or is it better to grind cooked bones in a food processor or grinder? What is best for her and easiest for me?
cbr117
Newborn Bully

Re: Cracked teeth from raw bones!

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 pm

I was going to say powdered egg shell - I supp wiht that when not feeding bone. My girl's teeth are now FLAT mostly from bones and maybe a bit from tennis balls - I've been wondering how to handle things if the flat teeth wear down anymore re our raw dinners.... there might be some commercial products (probably powders) but egg shells are cheap and easy if you are using eggs already - I save up enough to grind at a time. I'm curious if someone suggests a better calcium supp. What bones were you giving that caused the most damage? I'm no longer giving beef rib bones and never gave beef leg bones but pork necks are darned hard and scare me with the noises made when she eats them so I've backed off of those mostly as well.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:14 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I was going to say powdered egg shell - I supp wiht that when not feeding bone. My girl's teeth are now FLAT mostly from bones and maybe a bit from tennis balls - I've been wondering how to handle things if the flat teeth wear down anymore re our raw dinners.... there might be some commercial products (probably powders) but egg shells are cheap and easy if you are using eggs already - I save up enough to grind at a time. I'm curious if someone suggests a better calcium supp. What bones were you giving that caused the most damage? I'm no longer giving beef rib bones and never gave beef leg bones but pork necks are darned hard and scare me with the noises made when she eats them so I've backed off of those mostly as well.

This ^ The proper bones should not harm your dog's teeth. The weight bearing bones of large ungulates should not be fed. Pretty much no beef bones, though some are okay on knuckles and ribs.

Chicken bones are much too soft to hard your dogs teeth, they're still fine to feed, duck's even softer. Fish bones are also really soft.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:44 am

Sadie cracked a tooth on a rib bone. Since those are now banned and i never give femurs, she gets her bones ground up with the meat. She can safely do chicken/duck/turkey necks and wings.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:44 am

Nichole wrote:Sadie cracked a tooth on a rib bone. Since those are now banned and i never give femurs, she gets her bones ground up with the meat. She can safely do chicken/duck/turkey necks and wings.

Derp! Totally forgot about ground bone
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 am

I use beef knuckles w/my aggressive chewers. Now that Xanny is old and weak, she can have femurs. I need to monitor the knuckles though, as they will actually consume quite a bit of bone.
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Health Issues