Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Mast Cell Tumors : Lessons Learned

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm

kimboley wrote:The vet has seen these, she said "I wouldn't worry unless it gets bigger"
Wait... Did the vet aspirate the lump or do anything at all to figure out what is it before saying you shouldn't worry about it? If not, I would go to a different vet. For suspicious lumps I always go to an oncologist, the least they can do is aspirate the lump with a needle and check it out under microscope. I would have that checked out by a vet ASAP. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:50 pm

It could be so many things, but I'm wondering if it is a viral infection and a wart. Wither way, I'd get that removed BUT not before finding out exactly what it was.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Megan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Just wanted to ask everyone to keep us in your thoughts. We have yet another lump on Gavin. I am at a loss. I don't know what to do with him. We've tried removal, steriod injections into the tumor sites. From my research radition/chemo doesn't have a huge success rate on the MCT.... I talked to my vet about using a combination of Predisone as I've seen mention of that helping-- but Gavin is also DA, has HA issues and anxiety... She won't do the predisone as it can bring out and make those issues even worse.

We also started him on Prilosec as she believes he has stomach ulcers related to the MCT. He was having trouble keeping food down, and would lick everything and everything in site to vomit. The prilosec has been helping, and his episodes have been a lot less.

We go in on Friday to have the most recent lump looked at. We went from a very low stage/grade to almost a 2 this last tumor... I am terrified I may have to make a decision on him :( His aggression is also starting to get worse--even with the help of a behaviorist and behavior modifications..and I can only think maybe the cancer is spreading or causing him pain somewhere else? All I have been doing is crying as i'm fearing the worse.
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Oh hon. I'm just not even sure what to say. I am so sorry that you've been challenged again & again. We'll cross our paws your vet has some positive answers for you. This diagnosis sucks huh? Please don't cry. :hug:
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Megan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Right now we are going to try a strict cancer diet. I was using high-quality kibble, but I'm switching this weekend to a strict raw diet with added Omega 3. We have agreed not to put him through additional surgery as it's only a few short months later that a lump reppears, so obviously surgery isn't helping. We'll continue with the injection into the site to hopefully stablize the mass. I opted to not do chemo/radition- I see far too many human patients going through it and it's horrible for them. I won't put him through that. We'll see how diet and more of a homeopathic route works this time around.

The nexium has been working for his stomach uclers, and we are hoping with the "cancer diet" that might help even more.

As for his aggression, we will be trying a coarse of prozac. The homeopathic options we have been using with our behaviorist helped take the "edge off" but thats about it. Her next step was to see how our vet felt about Prozac for him. So we will be starting that tomorrow A.M. She did say in a small number of dogs it makes the aggression worse, so we need to watch and monitor him closely. We should see results in about a months time.

Here's to another battle... I am hoping these changes will help.
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:16 pm

oh my, you really do have your hands full. I hope the Prozac helps. I understand at Target, a 60/Rx is only $8! Also, you may need to up the dose due to size but your doctor will work you through that. You have to start small in order to get the max effect in the long run.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how the treatment helps. We may just learn a lot from the alternate medications you use, especially if our vets are not familiar with them. Selfishly, I'd love to have them in my pocket if we end up needing them. My heart goes out to you, it is not an easy health problem already and them to have all the other stuff too. Lean on us if you need it :hug: Thanks for sharing.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:46 pm

...so while I was looking up IBS and other dog ailments I came across this site. I'm sure I've been to the site before but don't remember the video. Not knowing if it is a 'good' site or not, I'll post this. Please let me know if there are better resources.

from MaristaVet.com "A mast cell, coated with IgE antibodies, is exposed to pollen and degranulates, releasing its biochemical weapons of destruction."

"WHAT IS A MAST CELL?

A normal mast cell is part of our immunologic defense systems against invading organisms. Mast cells are meant to participate in the war against parasites (as opposed to the war against bacterial or viral invaders). They are bound within tissues that interface with the external world such as the skin, respiratory or intestinal tract. They do not circulate through the body.

The mast cell possesses within itself granules of especially inflammatory biochemicals meant for use against invading parasites. (Think of these as small bombs that can be released). The mast cell has binding sites on its surface for a special type of antibody called IgE. IgE is produced in response to exposure to antigens typical of parasites (i.e., worm skin proteins, or similarly shaped proteins). IgE antibodies, which are shaped like tiny "Y"'s, find their way to a tissue mast cell and perch there. With enough exposure to the antigen in question, the mast cell may be covered with Y- shaped IgE antibodies like the fluff of a dandelion. The mast cell is said, at this point, to be sensitized.

As said, the IgE antibodies are Y-shaped. Their foot is planted in the mast cell while their arms lift up hoping to capture the antigen for which they were individually designed. When the antigen comes by and is grasped by the IgE antibodies, this should indicate that a parasite is near and the mast cell, like a land mine, degranulates releasing its toxic biochemical weapons. These chemicals are harmful to the parasite plus serve as signals to other immune cells that a battle is in progress and for them to come and join in.

At least this is what is supposed to happen."
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Kanobi had 5 small lumps on his trunk when I adopted him. Within a week of changing his food to NV they have all disappeared.

Who here feeds Turkey, that has noticed lumps on there bullys? The reason Im asking is because Turkey contains triptophan, which is a histamine. Im wondering if there is an association with MCT's and Turkey.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Kanobi had 5 small lumps on his trunk when I adopted him. Within a week of changing his food to NV they have all disappeared.

Who here feeds Turkey, that has noticed lumps on there bullys? The reason Im asking is because Turkey contains triptophan, which is a histamine. Histamines trigger an auto-immune response that says it is being attacked usually causing an increase in MC production. If the increase is significant, a tumor is created. Im wondering if there is an association with MCT's and Turkey and other allergens.

my Mother has Mastocytosis, which is caused by an increase in MC's in humans for an unknown reason, and usually leads to cancer. She is on a diet of NO RAW vegetables or fruits, low carbs, higher protien intake. Her condition is stable.

* stupid edit button left both posts
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I should have joined this last year.....Bean had his tail amputated this time last year due to a MCT that was towards the base of his tail. We have a new bump that popped up this week that will be removed this next week. It has a few mast cells in it but it also has tons of inflammatory cells so who knows, if it is MCT, it will be low grade.

Bozley also had a MCT removed last week on his front chest/leg area.

Both boys came back with clean margins lower grade II. All three of these lumps are/were uber tiny. The good part about having bullies is at least you can feel anything new pretty much immediately.

Bean was stared on raw last year and Boz will start the transition this week.

I have heard whisperings of a newer MCT drug that is supposed to be a godsend, anyone know what i am talking about or used it? It is not paldaia, it is something different.
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby picara » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 am

For anyone who remembers Horace, he's having surgery and then a biopsy in Tuesday. I'm grateful PBF put this all together in one place. His rumors in a crap place if it's bad.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby heartbullies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I remember Horace!

Fingers crossed for something totally benign. If it is reassuring at all-- B had two bumps that my vet aspirated & found mast cells, diagnosed them as MCTs. I freaked out & went to a veterinary oncologist. They were benign epithelial cell tumors. Yup. Skin lumps. So anything is possible.

Please let us know how he's doing (and you, too!) Long time no "see." :)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 pm

I'll cross my fingers for you for sure! :peace:
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby picara » Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the good wishes. In the meantime, Horace is having a great time. I'm hoping for the best on Tuesday.
picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 am

Biopsy came back Grade 2 MCT with dirty margins. On to the oncologist's office next.
picara
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues