Adopted my new girl

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Curly_07

Re: Adopted my new girl

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Welcome and thank you for adopting! Once approved, post your concerns in Training section. You should go ahead and start the "2 weeks, give em a break!" thread in training as well as read up on "introducing a new dog" thread. They are both stickies and it is not too late to do. Also, check out the NILF thread (aka nothing in life is free, also referred to as NILIF) in training. Clicker/marker training would probably work great for you too.

Pics can be posted via Tapatalk app from your phone, or via a host site like Photobucket from your computer. There is a sticky at the top of Intros for how to do it from your computer.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 am

welcome - check out this link for some great tips especially on keeping the peace, multi dog homes, a new dog etc. http://www.badrap.org/favorite-how-links

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm

The dominance stuff is nonsense when it comes to all dogs, not just pitbulls.

I also wouldn't follow the two week shut down necessarily as its meant for adult dogs, not pups.

You need to intervene in the interactions between the two of them if the little dog is "tormenting" him. You have said that you are worried about the pup, but it would seem that your small dog needs some work too.

Also, don't buy in to any "breed specific" advice you get-- without knowing the parents, what you have is a mutt. There's no guarantee that she even IS a Pitbull. So take her for what she is, an individual.

For now I would keep their interactions short and sweet and separate them when things get too rambunctious. Let them interact during activities and times when they are less likely to get wound up, such as when you are out on a walk.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Oh no! My childhood dog ate rat poison once!

Because of the eventual size difference, I would be inclined to always supervise interactions and separate them when you aren't home.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm

She had to take Vitamin K injections but she had no lasting ill-effects.

Once you get posting permission you'll have access to a wealth of good info :)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:16 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”