Seems like DIESEL my 7 month old is in pain (All the time)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Seems like DIESEL my 7 month old is in pain (All the time)

Postby mjpeez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Diesel is 34 weeks old... Born April 13th 2012....

He walks slow and limpy like a 10 year old dog... I can kind of hear him sign/grunt when he walks around like it's tough on him. (Reminds me of our Rottweilers as they got older when I was growing up)

It might be a little exaggerated at home, due to the fact that our house is covered in slick tile, which I think slows him down. However he is a puppy... at 7 months I would think he'd be bouncing off the walls every chance he gets.... he's barely excitable.... I can't get him to play much, chase balls, even get off his bed and come over to me...

Starting to think he might have a health issue.

So anyways, the problem seems to be his front legs... They seem way under developed/skinny... I started applying pressure/bending his joints and I couldn't get him to wince in pain at anything... Till I got to his feet... what seems to hurt is the webbing in between his 2 middle toes... in the area close to the toes... if I squeeze lightly there he will begin to whine and tug away....

Honestly I am very frustrated with him... I want to enjoy the post potty training puppy days with him and have fun but he is just a total slug.... even on walks he doesn't even tug on the leash... never seen an untrained pitbull that doesn't pull a little... All he does is sleep all the time!!!! I even made him a flirt pole and that barely gets his attention.

I plan on taking him to the vet soon but we're a little strapped for cash right now because of the holidays....

Any advice????
mjpeez
Newborn Bully

Re: Seems like DIESEL my 7 month old is in pain (All the tim

Postby mjpeez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Here's a video to illustrate...

mjpeez
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Some dogs just don't like their feet touched-they don't have to hurt. And he might just be a lazy guy. If it were me, I'd bring him to the vet to just check-for us we don't have to pay office visit fees (we're at Banfield and pay a wellness fee every month). For most people the banfield plan probably wouldn't be beneficial, but for us, we're in there a lot (and I have no problem bringing my dogs in just in case).

Also, since he's so young and you have hard floors-it could just be that. I thought it was advised to have pups on softer ground when they were young-especially if you're worried about them "knuckling over". Obviously, you can't change the flooring in your house just like that...but maybe some throw rugs or something to give him better traction?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:29 pm

he does seem in the video to be walking stiffly and gets up and down reluctantly too, I would be having him checked out asap.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:30 pm

It's always better to be safe than sorry and it's always cheaper to address health issues sooner rather than later. It's too hard to tell from the video whether he's just confused and reluctant because he doesn't know what's going on but it looked to me like he has a short stride. When in doubt, get it checked out.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes, bring him to the vet. He looks very uncomfortable.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Agreed a vet visit is needed very soon. It could be so many different things but for a puppy to act like that most of the time is very concerning, imo.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby suzanne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 am

Could be panosteitis which can occur often in young dogs.

I would get hip and elbow x-rays. Both are pretty common to be dysplastic in the breed.

The way he's walking is not normal, he isn't taking a full stride. I don't think a hard floor has anything to do with that.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am

In the meantime, buy some inexpensive throw rugs and help him by making a trail. I have that from our bedroom hall thru the kitchen for my girl.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues