Universal Pet Peeves

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Universal Pet Peeves

Postby Amie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 am

Someone just came in - I think a foster parent - and said rather loudly "Oh, I could never work here. I just hate seeing animals and children abused."

I did not respond "Really? I work here because I love seeing animals in pain. Do you know where I can watch children being tortured, too? That would make my day!"

What are the lines that get you?
Amie
Regulator

Re: Universal Pet Peeves

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 am

Anything involving the terms "alpha" or "dominant".
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Stormi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 am

"Does he bite?"
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Shelter dogs are just bad dogs for someone else to fix.

There are only mutts at the shelter.

They have pure bread dogs at the shelter?

How do you know if they are pure breed dogs?

I want my dog to have papers.

They have a rescue group for "X"???

What have you done to make your 'pit bulls' so nice? (in some ways I take this as a compliment though, depending on the situation)

I feed them what's cheapest.

How do you know that buying a dog at the STORE is supporting puppy mills.

Those chicken jerky treats did cause "X" to have pancreatitis and in the ER for 3 days. (ok, this was not what she said, but I wanted to hear.)

Do they really need blood tests for heart worm?

Why is the vet so expensive?

They don't need tags, they never leave the house.

<the general inference that going home to let out the dogs is frivolous>
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

My outdoor only cat isn't feral. He/she (they are never sure which) lets me touch him/her. Well it did take him a year before he did let me touch him and he won't let me pick him up, but he isn't feral.

What do you mean I have to get up in the middle of the night to let my puppy out?! He's 11 weeks now, he should be able to hold it right?

He/she doesn't bite. (As the dog is cowering under the chair, looking up at us all whale eyed, and urinating/deficating/releasing anal glands on the floor.) Well... he was kicked out of 4 grooming salons and our last vet won't see him anymore.

My dog/cat has x wrong with it. What can I give it to make it better?

Well, if you guys don't take my dog/cat I'm just going to let him loose/take him to the shelter/leave him...

I want to say this so badly since the subject comes up every.single.day.
NO ONE WANTS YOUR FERAL CATS!!!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh! My personal favorite...

The owner holding their dog as it snarls and lunges at us going... "It's ok baby, it's ok." and petting it. With a sad look at us and saying he's just shy or I don't know why he acts like this.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

^ all of the above, all of the time

Plus:

"I have some cats (or dogs) I need to donate. But I need y'all to come out to the house to catch them."

Yes! We do so love your donations of feral cats and unsocialized sketchy dogs and we will send the donation van right out and get you a receipt so you can write it off! :???:

Also:

"S/he has [insert temperament issue here] because s/he's a rescue."

#%$-&+#*@%!!
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 pm

When some ill behaved wild ass dog runs up to you off leash, no collar with some moron semi apologetic owner 5 minutes behind explaining that "she's a rescue" with big sad eyes.

I always reply, so is mine as he lays in a down stay and ask, have you considered a training class for the both of you?
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby AmberD » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

OMG... When some new client in the grooming salon says "s/he's a rescue" to explain ANYTHING, all my coworkers kinda glance nervously at me and then avert their eyes... Oh, he's severely obese and can't stand well for grooming because he's a rescue dog? Too bad you've had him 2 years and haven't helped him out any. Oh he might bite me when I touch his feet because he's a rescue dog? Yeah, because no dog from a breeder who (also) hasn't been properly socialized to grooming/handling would just instinctively know to never bite... and all of my rescue dogs must be freaks because they miraculously never once tried to bite me when I trimmed their nails.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Today while watching Judge Joe Brown there was a case about a dog who bit a guy while he was on his bike. It was a "pocket pit bull"-so says the owner. The guy who was bit was pretty dramatic, going on about how the dog was vicious and what-so much so that after being but he called the ambulance. Even though the owner of the dog was in the wrong (dogs were not allowed) I was on her side. Until she said, "my dog is not vicious, she nipped him because he was too close to us...now if she had lock jawed on him he would have been seriously hurt, but she didn't-she just nipped."
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby julie64 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:07 am

I want to say this so badly since the subject comes up every.single.day.
NO ONE WANTS YOUR FERAL CATS!!!

I guess I am a no one. :) I took in a feral who is doing wonderful as being a housecat, even with the dogs. I have number two headed to All about animals today for a spay, shots.

I do get not all of them can be calmed down. I think alot of people just don't want to be bothered with them and want them gone to wherever.: (
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm

That's exactly it. They want people to take whole colonies.

If I would have known, I would have said hi this morning!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers