How do you turn it off?

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

How do you turn it off?

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 pm

When you can't stop thinking or talking about the shelter, how do you take your mind off of it? What if your brain is "stuck"? Are there ways to snap out of it?
Amie
Regulator

Re: How do you turn it off?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Get pregnant.

No, but seriously. I was/am becoming really stressed out having discussions with people about behavior, BSL, proper animal ownership, etc to the point where I've contemplated leaving Facebook and forums all together.

Getting pregnant has given me something else to research obsessively, debate about, discuss and think ahead to and has been a seriously welcome distraction.

I look forward to taking a mental break during mat leave from constant dog discussions that often make me want to smash my head into my desk and focusing on it just enough without losing my sanity.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 pm

If I had an answer, I probably wouldnt have burned out for real this time. I have never found someone that has a healthy relationship with their job when they work in animal welfare.

And not to be repetitive or suggest this is the only way out, but like Alison, I didnt realize the toll and huge sacrifices I was making until I had Carter. I finally realized how IMPORTANT it is to be healthy and happy myself. I had sacrificed too much for too many years and I really was not happy. I am sure there is a healthy balance somewhere (and I am probably close to that) but I couldn't find it at the shelter and with Carter now here I have a total new outlook on how important I actually am to my family.....

Sorry, no help but I know that feeling
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 am

Yep, I'm suffering pretty badly from burn out right now and I've already stepped back from fostering but I'm still needing to step back mentally. Which is hard because I always let myself get sucked in to stupid debates on Facebook.

There are some hot button issues that get to me more than others and I really have made a conscious effort to avoid those.

I am trying to stay involved and feel like I'm making a difference by only engaging with other logical, reasonable, intelligent people. (though I nearly shook a tech that occasionally covers shifts at the clinic where I work when she told me yesterday how awesome brad Pattison is).

Once Caesar is placed, I'm going to try to take a bigger step back and focus on Christmas and the baby and my own dogs. I'll of course never leave my PBF sanctuary but I'm going to try and be on Facebook less and I'm going to try to find another, less stressful, hobby.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am

Oh, one other thing. When I really need to chill, I read this:

People are often unreasonable, illogical,
and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, People may accuse you
of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some
false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone
could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

And it always helps.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

I have been in rescue MANY Years. And I took a break from fostering and such for several months. But it is what i enjoy doing. I Find myself CONSTANTLY talking about it, looking at pictures.. and people know I help a Pit Bull rescue, and i am contacted all the time about needy dogs. Not even all pits. So, I feel it is basically one major part of my life now. Most days I can handle it.. But some days I want to curl into a ball and not answer my phone or emails. But, Then I worry about what dog may die if I did that. It is a endless cycle! So, I am no help, Just know.. I know what you mean. :-/
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm

You could...you know...get married :))
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Amie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm

lol I have to confess, this was asked more for someone I'm worried about than myself. I'm a little burnt, but have a great support system and boss who is very caring on this issue. I know someone else who doesn't have the same work support I do and is feeling very trapped. And he can't get pregnant (much as he tries) so no luck there. ;)
Amie
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm

It is really hard when your job and your hobbies/passions are the same. I worked in shelters for several years and it was not good for my health. Now I have a job that does not involve dogs, as well as school, and dogs as a hobby/free time thing (and want to get back in to fostering soon if I can find a good rescue to get involved with). I am really interested in these three different aspects and they're all slightly related but different enough that I can think about different things from time to time.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 pm

For me personally, I read fiction, usually paranormal, and completely immerse myself in that book. I get a complete break from reality for at least a couple of hours.

The other thing I love doing is going to dog shows. It really helps to spend the day talking dog with the other end of the spectrum.

I also do quite a few "odd" things. Just the other day my mom and I took a cheese making class. We have taken silk flower arranging classes, water color painting classes, quilting classes, woodworking classes, beadweaving classes, and anything else we can find. While I may never do some of the things again, it was fun and a great distraction.

I know I don't technically work in a shelter, but a spay/neuter clinic has surprisingly similar umm... people problems.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers