Just phishing

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Just phishing

Postby heartbullies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm

What skill sets do you think a shelter worker/ACO/vet hospital has acquired that might be applicable in some other field?

Dealing with all kinds of the public in volatile and friendly situations, lots of law enforcement contacts, a variety of warrants, assisting with criminal investigations including felonies, basic veterinary assistant stuff, dog temperament and training stuff, lots and lots of wildlife rescues, education of adults/kids, blah blah. But how do you market these experiences if you're looking for a career change to an entirely different field? And what the heck kind of fields are even open to someone with just a BA and a lot of really admittedly weird work experience? Not another LE field or animal welfare field, and not EMT/paramedic or any kind of nurse or human caretaker.

Just thinking about some ideas, can't/won't do this for forever and can't afford to go to vet school to become a livestock vet.
heartbullies
Regulator

Re: Just phishing

Postby Amie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

It's tough! I think you'd (hypothetically) be great at a lot of things. But finding one that you love and still pays the bills is tricky. What other work-related things have you done that you enjoyed? If I wasn't doing this, I'd be looking at radio or writing, Rob I think would be considering insurance (he sold that briefly and says he enjoyed it) but I don't know. Have you done retail? Labor?
Amie
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:59 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Do-What-You-Are-Personality/dp/0316167266

This book is awesome and you can find it in any bookstore. It will have a list of both jobs and functions describing why you were attracted to ACO work in the first place and other industries and functions that fit within your skill group.

I'm guessing you are an NF which means you have the ability to envision the future, potential products (or problems), patterns/designs that others don't see, and "change" that needs to happen: http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/careers/#nf If I've guessed correctly, this also means you'll have many different careers, so don't worry too much about finding a career to last for 20 years. That type of career will be the death of you. Look for your passions and something you can champion, then look at the tactical aspects that are transferable to that industry, product, person, or cause.

Best of luck,

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby heartbullies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks! Ordering that book!

I kind of don't care what I do as long as I have MUCH less public contact. I used to work in a huge corporate litigation firm and I might be down for that again. Same exposure to the same icky morals/ethics as an ACO, but from about 1/10th the number of people plus better pay, weekends & holidays off, and a clear mind when I'm off the clock.

I'll go buy a lotto ticket, too. All the stuff I'd like to do is probably best done in moderation as a volunteer gig. lol I used to love volunteering in a first grade classroom but if I did it now, the one jaded & unenthusiastic kid in the class would probably send me into a funk for days. Haha
heartbullies
Regulator

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers