Found another lump on Brina

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Found another lump on Brina

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Yay she's home and well!! Good to hear!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks everybody! She just finished eating her dinner, even licked the bowl eighteen times like always lol Which for her means that she's almost back to normal :D If this food obsessed dog is refusing food I KNOW something's wrong. I'll update when I get the results, I'm hoping it's nothing serious. The vet said it was a "clean" lump with clear edges, easily removable which is good :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Glad she is home and feeling better!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:13 pm

:thumbsup:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention that they did a complete blood panel before the surgery and everything looks good :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 am

:)
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:51 pm

So glad to hear Brina's update. :)
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks! Brina is doing great, today they took out most of her stitches, the rest will go out in a week. Everything looks good, Brina is feeling great and didn't even get incontinence which usually shows up after surgeries! The results didn't come yet, but that was expected because of holidays. I'll update when I get them.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 am

Brina's histopathology results are back and they are not as good as I hoped they would be, but not as bad as they could be. The lump on her chin was in fact cancerous, but it's stage 1 with clean margins so the surgery she had a month ago probably took care of it completely and the cancer didn't spread anywhere. She's doing great so we will go ahead and set the date for her teeth extraction and cleaning soon. :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Well, it sounds like you have reasons to continue thinking positively. Lucky Brina gets to head to the vet for different fun.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Good to hear the update! I too hope that they were able to get it all out! Be sure to post some pics of those pearly whites once they are cleaned :)
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks! I know it's good news and all, I mean better than it could be in a worst case scenario, but on the other hand it's still the second time a lump turned out to be cancerous. I don't know, I'm going from "Yay! Good news, it's just stage one, happy happy happy!" to "OMG my dog has cancer, she's going to die!" :oops: Eh... It's just hard for me to accept she's getting older and she won't be with me forever. :(

Brina looks and feels fine, plus her bloodwork came back ok a month ago. For now we'll go through with the dental surgery, because one of her teeth is completely black and we have to remove it asap. When I pay that off, I'll make an appointment with an oncologist and have Brina's lungs x-rayed just to see if cancer did spread somewhere else. Ugh and I have to fit in Jaka's visit to an orthopedist somewhere because of his back problems... I swear one of these days I will drown in all these vet bills. It must be nice to have healthy dogs, I've never had that.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 pm

Well of course Brina has to have a rare type of cancer, she's special that way. It's supposed to be this (I can't find anything about it for dogs, only for people):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenoid_cystic_carcinoma

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/rare/ac/index.htm

But for people it has a pretty good prognosis even if metastasized. It's supposedly a slow growing non agressive type of cancer. I sure hope this means Brina will be with me for many more years. We will schedule an appointment with an oncologist as soon as possible.

The date of her dental surgery is set, it's on 28th of February.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Previous

Return to Health Issues