Puppy questions (with pics)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Puppy questions (with pics)

Postby ThreeTails » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

My little Emma is close to 13 weeks old. Other than Puppy Problems, she's a great doggie. There are a couple things I've noticed about her that seem to be a little off. I'd love to get and advice or stories about them (we are going to ask about them at her 2nd vet visit on Tuesday).

First, she was born on the 5th of October, but only weighs about 12 pounds now. My husband says she's the runt, but she didn't stick out as such to me. Does she look skinny in the photos? Should I up her feed? Currently she gets about 1 & 1/4 cup a day Blue Buffalo Puppy. She did have Giardia when we first got her, during which she was on bland food and antibiotics.

Next, do her eyes look lazy? I thought it just looked that way because of her coloring, but now - we may have a dopey-eyed dog! As far as I can tell from reading around, that's just the way she is and not a reason for concern - right?

Finally, her ears are mismatched! I love em, but was wondering if people think that they'll even out as she grows up or not?

Not a potty squat, just trying to get a shot of her from the side...

Yes, she is the first puppy I've had as My Girl, if you couldn't tell from all the worry! Thanks for any advice (and sorry for the crummy photo quality).
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Re: Puppy questions (with pics)

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Not that this helps, but she sure is adorable! :inlove:
One thing I can tell you is that puppy ears go through various stages until adulthood, usually looking pretty goofy. lol
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 pm

She looks healthy weight to me, and her eyes seem normal IMO. She sure is cute!

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 am

I think her weight looks good, contrary to popular belief it is best for larger breed puppies not to be fat and rolly when they are growing, lean is better on their joints.

Her eyes look fine to me, LOVE her markings!!

And if it helps, Boss' ears did not set until he was about 8-9 months old, same time he stopped teething.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 am

I remember going through the "OMG! Is there something wrong with my puppy?!?" Stage with both of my dogs lol even though they're only five months apart. It's a weird paranoia that comes over you every dang time.

She looks fine. The coloring on the face makes things seem off balance, but it's only an illusion. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Novy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Her eyes look quite D shaped which is not abnormal and might just make it look like both her eyes are pointed outward a bit. My dogs eyes actually seem to be flat on the insides and bottom a bit.
Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 pm

She. Is. GORGEOUS. Love her!!!
creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm

she is gorgeous!!! soooo cute!
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby ThreeTails » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Novy wrote:Her eyes look quite D shaped

Wow, I never even knew that was a thing, but yeah, looks like you may be right. Thanks for the input!
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Is she a rescue or from a breeder? If from a breeder you can talk to them and see how her line grows and matures; if a rescue it is a waiting game. She does not look or sound small or underweight to me. Pit Bulls are NOT supposed to be a large breed. Her eyes also appear normal in the pictures. When puppies go through growth spurts and teething their ears can do wacky things. No way to tell right now how they will end up. She is very cute.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Is she a rescue or from a breeder? If from a breeder you can talk to them and see how her line grows and matures; if a rescue it is a waiting game. She does not look or sound small or underweight to me. Pit Bulls are NOT supposed to be a large breed. Her eyes also appear normal in the pictures. When puppies go through growth spurts and teething their ears can do wacky things. No way to tell right now how they will end up. She is very cute.

This. Cute pup!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby ThreeTails » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

I know the parents were both average size, but my husband says she was the runt of the litter, so who knows where she'll end up!
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby Cherry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 am

She looks A LOT like my dog. When she was a puppy, and even still, her eyes look a little wonky because one is outlined in black, and one is outlined in pink. It always looks just a little off, but I love it. And her ears were soooo wonky growing up. I miss those silly ears LOL. Her weight looks perfect to me, she is a BEAUTIFUL pup. But I'm biased, she looks a lot like my baby.

Cherry as a puppy:
A little older:
Now:
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Breezy833 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Shes just got some heavy mascarra from a long night of clubbin. Lol cute pups
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby ThreeTails » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 am

Oh my goodness, your girl is adorable, Cherry! Thanks for posting the growing-up sequence, our doggies sure do look similar.
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues