I have to be the unluckiest pet owner/human being

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

I have to be the unluckiest pet owner/human being

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm

I have not been on here in a while. My life has been crazy, and not in a good way. This is a self-pity vent, so I will understand if nobody responds. I figured someone may be able to relate, though.

My husband and I got engaged in the spring of 2011. Started planning the wedding and set a date for September 2, 2012.

My husband was laid off on August 15, 2012. He makes more than double what I make, and we can barely afford our mortgage on my salary alone. With our wedding 3 weeks away, we are already dipping into savings. We move on with our plans and hope he will find another job after the wedding (no dice almost 5 months later).

On September 2, 2012, we were married. yay!

On October 2, 2012, my husband's father passed away.

On October 18, 2012, we find out Blu's oral mass has grown and has to be removed. Surgeon calls me during surgery and says mass is much larger than anticipated. Asks to authorize more $ and removes two back teeth, part of gum and part of jaw bone. Luckily insurance picked up 90% of this.

On New Year's Eve we found out the job my husband though he would get (5 rounds of interviews) was given to someone else.

Yesterday, Blu started limping on his right hind leg after a play session (warm up and cool down included in play). He had a TTA on his left leg in 2011. I insured him right after the diagnosis. So they obviously did not cover the first surgery. However I was told that after two years they would cover the other leg. I did not get this in writing. We got his right leg manipulated and x-rayed at the time of his first surgery and was told it was a-ok. Now I am reading their policy and called and asked and they said no coverage would be applied. Then they said maybe if we have proof that the other leg was ok at time of first surgery. But no straight answer. I would have to submit a pre-approval claim. Anyone have experience with this type of situation?

I am so sick over this. I knew it was a strong possibility that this would happen to the other leg. But this is the worst possible time for it to happen. We can't afford $3,500 again. We obviously need to do something and will take him to the vet tomorrow, but I don't know what. The last time we rested him for a while and he had improvement, but we ultimately chose surgery, which I believe is the best choice. But he is almost 8 now, and maybe the options are not the same. I was hoping 2013 would be a better year, but it's started off with a bang.

Thanks for listening if you got this far.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Re: I have to be the unluckiest pet owner/human being

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm

No advice but I am so sorry that you've been having such a rotten time :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh wow, that is a couple of rotten months. Can your husband take a part time or low paying job for now? "They" say the best time to get a job is when you already have one.

As for the dog, if it were me, I'd rest rest rest. Maybe look into that sling thing Red had for one of her dogs and keep my fingers crossed.

I'm sorry you're going through this, it does sound very trying. :hug:
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby creiter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Sending so many hugs and warm thoughts your way. I feel your pain... I live alone, recent college grad, have a slightly reactive dog so spend a decent amount of money on classes etc... and got laid off in 2012 as well. It was definitely the hardest months of my life, but I am slowly recovering and have a new job and high hopes for 2013. Obviously can't relate on the same level as your hardships are much more intense, but just wanted you to know this state your family is in is common, sadly, lately.

Also, I am sure you already know this, but don't ever take for granted the life you lead, no matter what. Stay focused on the fact that you share your life with a husband and dog, what a great deal of love they must have for you! Money is so easy to stress about, but just breathe, it is what it is and no amount of worry will make it any better. All you can do is take it one day at a time, one bill at a time. It does get better, trust me. Everything happens for a reason. Your husband WILL find the perfect job for him and eventually will be so glad he lost his old one. And your dog surely is the luckiest pooch to have such an amazing family who believes in healing and protecting. You guys were meant to be together, all of you, and thus will overcome the trials you face with flying colors as the strong, loyal team you are. It will make everything good that follows so much sweeter. And now that you've gone through this, think of all the support and advice you can give to someone who winds up in the same situation... One day you'll be able to use your struggles to help someone else. Such is life!

Hang in there and know we are all sending many good vibes through the interwebs. Vent any time!!!
creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 am

Saw this on Pinterest and thought of you:Image
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it :hug:

I know that it could be much worse and I'm lucky that I have my husband and pup to keep me warm at night. I am looking for a part-time evening job that will work with my schedule (not easy to come by). My husband is considering his options. Taking a lower paying job temporarily will negate his unemployment, which is something to consider.

Semi-good news about Blu. My husband took him to the vet this morning and he saw Blu free of charge. Blu was better this morning but of course we are still concerned. He completely manipulated both knees and did not feel any swelling at all. No drawer sign present either. We elected not to do X-rays at this time. Because there was no swelling he did not prescribe anything as he feels Blu is quite comfortable at this time. He thinks it is arthritis rather than a tear but I am not so convinced. Blu did this for a while before his first surgery - however he did present with swelling. Presently he is improving and toe tapping very rarely. I am thinking this is the beginning of the end for his right leg :( but the vet feels we should not be so pessimistic and watch him over the next few weeks. Sigh. My Bluberry pie :inlove:
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 pm

That's great news!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby creiter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Duke won't stop trying to lick my phone... think the kisses are intended for you and Blu! Hang tough, family. Sounds like good news from the vet, so stay optimistic and take extra special care of your pooch. If there were swelling again you'd have the right to be pessimistic... but it sounds like Blu is a tough cookie!

Did I mention how lucky Blu is to have found such loving owners? Thank you for taking such good care. You got this girl!
creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 am

Ouch, rough! Are you on the Yahoo Ortho discussion group? If not, look them up! Conservative Management, along with proper exercises, is definitely a route you can explore.
Good luck!
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues