Introducing Isis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Introducing Isis

Postby srichmond » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board and would like to introduce the newest member of my family. Her name is Isis. Someone had left her in a closed box by a dumpster and I found her. The vet said she is 2 months old and seems to be healthy. But I am concerned about her weight. I am wanting to feed her home made food and have done some researchon it the past few days but if anyone has any insight on it I would be much appreciative of. Here are a few pictures of her. Right now I am feeding her Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Chicken and Rice and Oatmeal formula. I feed her 1/2 cup twice a day. But she seems to be hungry still. Does this seem sufficient for her or should I up it for awhile? My vet told me to just follow the chart on the food. (looking for a different vet not impressed with him)

Its been a long time since I have had a puppy this small so any tips and insight would be great! We have been working on potty training and its not great but its going ok.

Thanks again

Shay and Isis
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Re: Introducing Isis

Postby srichmond » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

ok not sure why the pics are microscopic but im trying to fix it! Sorry
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Postby srichmond » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Ok trying again

srichmond
Newborn Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Throw in a 3rd feeding, puppies should be fed a few times a day, just add another 1/2 cup until her weight looks better, shouldn't take long. She's cute!
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

I would go with a better food, Nutro is basically all grain and not a lot of meat. If you're not really knowledgeable about dog nutrition I wouldn't go with a home made diet for a growing puppy, it's risky, you really need to do a lot of research before going that route. I would go with a good quality kibble and feed her more than 1 cup/day divided into more meals. Here's a good website with dry and wet food reviews - look for 4, 5 and 6 star foods:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby srichmond » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Thank you both for your input. I really appreciate it. I am in the process of switching her to Wellness Just for puppy food and she seems to be liking it. I feed her 1/2 cup 3 times a day so hopefully she puts on some weight.

I have another question that just came up the last couple nights and I am not sure how to fix it. I crate her at night which she seems to be doing ok with except for the last 2 nights she seems to have pooped in her crate and ate it. I usually feed her her last feeding at 6PM and we go outside and go poop shortly after and then I take her out to pee right before bed and I set my alarm for 2 hr so I can get up and let her out. At that time she was fine we went outside she went potty and I put her back in her crate and then got up this morning at 530 to take her out and I could tell she had pooped, I could smell it and there was a spot on her bed but there was no poop. So I guess I guess I don't know for positive that she ate it but I can't figure out what else could have happened. Any suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions I just haven't had a little one in so long and I know its a crucial developmental time and I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks

Shay
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

In my experience, puppies just grow out of that phase.. Some of my fosters ate poop for a while as puppies, but they all stopped eventually. Here's an article abot this with some suggestions:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/health/evr_dg_why_do_puppies_eat_poop
Enigma
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues