My pup has no tail.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

My pup has no tail.

Postby Madrid559 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 pm

I adopted my puppy that has no tail, the previous owner told me that it was badly broken when the mother stepped on it. I keep hearing that its bad when a Pit bull has no tail. Can someone tell my why so? Is it because of balance or just because of the look? Is there anyway i could help my pit bull with any balance issues it might have to overcome because of its injury. He's currently 4 months old and seems to be doing fine just a little clumsy lol but i think that's normal :)
Madrid559
Newborn Bully

Re: My pup has no tail.

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 am

All dogs are the same in that manner. If you can cut off a boxer or a Rottweiler tail, you can cut of a pit bull's too. They won't have balance issues. Your puppy is clumsy because he's a pup. It's normal. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby ThreeTails » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 am

I've heard it's kinder to the dog to amputate a badly broken tail than to make them deal with it healing, but "bad" for a pit bull to have no tail? I can't think of a reason why. Your dog will look unique and that's about it that I can think of.

As far as clumsy, that's a puppy deal! My girl is almost 15 weeks and she still trips on flat carpet and runs her head into things...
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby Madrid559 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks for the replies, i always hear to never cut a Pit bull's tail off, that is why i was concerned but thank you for the reassurance and yes he does look unique :)
Madrid559
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 pm

As for balance, no I don't believe that is an issue, but 'communication' I can see as a difficulty. Because there is no tail, you can't use it as an indicator of emotion and behavior. Plus, you can't get beat with happy tail :))
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:09 am

From a previous rottwieler owner. You will enjoy no tail.. lol cant sweep things off the coffee table ect.
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 pm

My rottie mixes have horrible dock jobs, maybe 1 vertebra each and as much as I'm still a little angry at whoever did that to them I do love not having to worry about getting tail whipped or having low surfaces cleared by a happy dog. I have heard that super short docks can cause issues with muscles in the back end and occasionally incontinence or trouble expressing anal glands? I've had no trouble with either with my gals but it's good to be aware I suppose.

They also have the cutest little nubbie wags when they are super happy, it's not the same as happy pibble tail wags, but still adorable.
Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues