hello from upstate ny

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

hello from upstate ny

Postby Thatvwguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 pm

hi my name is Tyler i'm a general contractor. big vw enthusiast. always been an animal lover. i have 4 cats. we had the cats before my 2 pits since cats are more apt friendly. but i have year and a half red nose pit that was given to us as a present from close friends. her name is lola is the most sweetest viscous licker of a dog Ive ever met. she knows multiple commands sit, down, wait, drop it, leave it, although she listens great she does have her moments of distraction as i read so do most pit bulls. i also have 5 month old red nose/blue nose mix also female named jetta. even when warned about issues i would encounter with have 2 females in the house together i still adopted jetta cause if the circumstances. i was contacted by a friend who was taking care of her cause of his friends took her in and jetta didn't get along with his 2 year old female pit. if i didn't take her she would of been brought to a shelter and ive read the percentage of pit bulls that get put down. so i wasn't going to allow that. jetta is a feisty little ball of energy. shes small spunky and a quick learner. we decided we wanted to get a dog when we moved into the house we live in now. theres was enough room to run and play inside and a long wide backyard that Lola treats as her personal race track. ive always loved the pit bull breed just never could own one cause of living situations. although i kno many pitbull owners i come to this forum seeking more knowledge and advice a wider and vast amount of people who also share the love for this breed.
Thatvwguy
Newborn Bully

Re: hello from upstate ny

Postby haranka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

welcome tyler 8)
haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Tyler! :welcome:

Thatvwguy wrote: i also have 5 month old red nose/blue nose mix also female named jetta.

You'll soon fine that there really isn't such a thing as a red nose blue nose mix. I mean, I guess one parent could have had a red nose and the other parent a blue nose, but mostly people who don't know any better use this as a way to describe their dogs. And while yes, it does describe the color of the nose, it's really nothing more than that-there's plenty of info around here on that, I'm sure you'll come across it at some point. People will try to tell you it's a "line" of dog or a more specific type of breed...it really isn't. Way back in the day there was a line called Old Family Red Nose (OFRN) I don't know that there are many of those around, I'm not really into that sort of thing, but it's what I've picked up from being on here.

If you're not familiar with crate and rotate, I'd suggest looking into it. Do you leave your girls alone together when you leave the house? If so, you might want to reconsider. I'm sure you know the heritage of the "pit bull" and because of that it is always suggested that the dogs not be left alone unsupervised-if they were ever to get in a fight while you weren't they could really hurt each other, or worse! Also, because of their history it is possible that later on down the line your girls stop getting along. There's nothing wrong with them if that happens, but you should be prepared...and that's where the crate and rotate will come in. Plenty of us members do it and it's easy peasy :) Don't buy into that "it's all in how they're raised" hooey. Part of it IS how their raised, but you also have to consider their nature-you wouldn't be upset with a Collie herding or a Golden retrieving would you?

Good luck to you! I hope you like it here, and just so you know we LURV pictures :))
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Tyler, here are some links that you might find useful. The first couple are from here, and the other are BadRap.org and Drsophiayin.com

Dog park-I don't know if you guys go to the dog park, but just incase (you really only need to read the first post)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274

Dog aggressive
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=131787

Two weeks-give’em a break-I can't remember how old your dog has to be to do this, but it says at the top of the first post in red (again, you really only need to read that first page to get the idea)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654

Introducing new dog to resident dog
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10229

Doggy body language
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79428

Breaking up a fight
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79642

Developmental stages of puppies
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139802

Bad rap website for training and resources
http://www.badrap.org/training-resources

Dr. Sophia Yin’s website for training and resources-this lady is pretty freaking awesome, and recommended often here!
http://drsophiayin.com/resources
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Thatvwguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 pm

no if were not home there crated separately. they crates are next to each other and never have a issue as soon as there in the open jetta growls and snarls and the aggressive behavior and naturely lola will defend herself. again we got jetta at 6 weeks old and they got along real well no fighting over toys although never could jsut each have toy. no food aggressions with either dog we worked lola to so she would develop them and were in the works with jetta on the food training. with lola she was the first dog ive owned by myself and was a handfull but i learned quickly. with jetta complety 180 on personality. overly hyper she had a biting issue and we slowly broke her outta that. but ill have to look into what you said.
Thatvwguy
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm

:welcome: Please read the links Jamie posted, as well as all of the stickies at the tops of each section.

I'm going to move your other post about Dog Agression into the Behavior Section so that you will get more replies.

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions