Ear infection article...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Ear infection article...

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Very interesting article in the Whole Dog Journal on ear infections. Just thought I would share.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_6/features/Canine-Ear-Infections_5642-1.html?zkMobileView=false
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Ear infection article...

Postby Bambina23 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 am

thank you for posting that! My new kids has developed and ear infection and although we are currently treating with Rx the tips on proper ear care and prevention were awesome!! My girl only develops infections from swimming and i just make sure to clean them out now afterwards. Great article.
Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Pretty soon, you'll go through 10 tubes, and then you'll develop a resistance...

Way to go, blame the vet... oh wait, yep, old time vets will help you do this. Appropriate medical treatment for an ear infection involves a microscopic examination of the ear wax, appropriate treatment, and continuing that treatment as prescribed until a follow-up microscopic examination confirms the infection has resolved.

Most recurrent infections are because you either failed to treat completely (many infections take 2-6 weeks of treatment to resolve) or because of an underlying condition that needs to be managed, and except for the vaccines thing, I have seen chronic ear infections secondary to all of the listed problems.

The ear flush technique sounds like a good way to rupture an ear drum - and that soap they recommended - will more than likely make your dog deaf if it gets into the middle ear. If your dog has that much waxy buildup - you need to be visiting your veterinarian, I can guarrantee your dog has an infection, and the flush won't do anything to treat it.

The preventative tips were good though... more than 5 q-tips to clean an ear, yep, probably an infection and need to see your vet. Good explanation of the ear canal anatomy also.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm

I did like the prevention tips and I did like that it addresses ear infections as a secondary problem.

I shudder at the thought of an average owner tryingto perform an ear flush at home though. I've done some flushes at work and I know how hard it is to do correctly.
And I totally agree with you MissKiwi on proper diagnosis and treatment, and that YES the recheck/follow-up visits are necessary. I see so many people bring their dogs in with horrible ear infections, treat it for two weeks (or less if "he just won't let me clean/medicate him"), never come back for the scheduled recheck, then wonder why the infection never
eally got any better.

I posted the article because I thought it would make for good discussion.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues