Please send thoughts/prayers for my dog Misty

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please send thoughts/prayers for my dog Misty

Postby Bully_Love » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 am

Tonight when I got out of class I got a call from my mom informing me that Misty had just urinated a lot of blood out of no where. As soon as I got home we took her to the emergency vet. They took a urine sample there and there was a ton of blood in it. :( They did a urinalysis and found (obviously) a high number of red blood cells, but also a lot of white blood cells, indicating infection. They then did some x-rays since the vet said her abdomen was really tense, and after getting the x-rays back she says it is showing the very early signs of pyometra. She is going in for surgery tomorrow (or the latest being thursday, but the vet said they are really trying for tomorrow). Before anyone gets on me about not having her spayed, we got Misty as the family dog when I was only 12 years old. I had no control back then over if she got spayed or not. And once I was old enough to make that decision, she was already up in age and I feared her being put under for a spay. She is 11 years old now and I am absolutely worried sick that she needs surgery. She's never had a surgery in her life. I have no idea how she's going react to being put under, but I have no choice. :( I'm sure most of you know how serious pyometra is. I had no idea this would happen tonight... Poor Misty. :(

Please send your thoughts/prayers this way! Both me and Misty need it. I will update after I know more tomorrow.
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Please send thoughts/prayers for my dog Misty

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 am

hoping for the best! i'll pray for misty tonight!
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby Bully_Love » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 am

Thank you so much.

Just dropped her off for surgery. :( Picking her up at 7:00. What an awful wait this is going to be...
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40 am

Oh no! She's in our thoughts. Fingers and paws crossed for a speedy recovery! Sorry I have no advice...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am

Everything will be fine! Good thoughts coming from the west coast!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby bethh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Good thoughts coming from the west coast!

x2
Let us know how it goes today.
bethh
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Very sorry to hear this, I'll be thinking about you and Misty.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank goodness your mom saw the urine.
Best wishes to Misty :pray
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Sending positive thoughts.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Bully_Love » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Thank you so much everyone! It means so much to me. Thank god the surgery went better than they expected and I got home with her a few hours ago. She is completely out of it though. She wasn't aware of anything and actually bit me once and the tech 3 times (didn't break the skin though) when we were getting the harness on her (they brought her out without her collar or harness on?!). She flipped out twice more in the car in between her constant whimpering, and when I got her home, she kept crying and just laying on her side. She did finally get up and walk around and I did get her to use the bathroom. She still won't drink though, so I gave her some water through a syringe. She has bitten me though one more time since I've been home.. so I really have no idea how I'm going to get medicines in her. :( They said they gave her morphine, so I'm hoping that just has to wear off some more (she's still not completely alert, still a little confused). This is breaking my heart. I've never seen my baby like this before. :( I am so thankful though that she pulled through without complications and I really hope that she'll be back to her ol' self in a few days. It's definitely going to be a long night. I'm just so thankful to have her home. Thank you again everyone and I'll keep this updated. If anyone has any tips for giving her the meds if she's still biting (btw, she's biting out of fear/pain. she seriously never bites unless she is scared/in pain.), that would be wonderful too. If I have to get bitten, so be it. I can't have her in pain because I can't get her pain meds in her. :(
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am

Sorry to hear about the snapping/biting, I'm sure it is from pain and fear of not feeling normal. Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow when it all wears off. I am glad to hear she made it through it all ok! As for the meds, could you try those pill pocket things? Or maybe putting it in her food with some salmon oil on it? My dogs honestly will just eat them from your hand lol as they think everything from my hand is some great treat. They are odd, I know...
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 am

I'm hoping that it was the medicine that had her behaving that way and not the pain so that it will end quicker. You know what I mean? Obviously I don't want your dog in pain, but if the medicine (that they used to put her under) wears off and that was the cause of the behavior then you guys can move on towards getting her better ASAP.

If it was my dog, it wouldn't make me afraid of her or considering rehoming/euthanizing her. It would be something I'd accept. I don't think your dog is aggressive towards people, or even aggressive at all...this is a special circumstance-please don't listen to anyone that tells you differently.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Bully_Love » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 am

Ok, so, I did find out it was the morphine and/or the effects of the anesthesia making her act out like she was. She actually ate and drank this morning (with assistance, but she did) and she let me put the pills down her just fine! :) She alert, she's starting to walk around, she's urinating just fine (she woke me up 3 times last night to go. she has to go so much because of all the fluids she was on). I'm so glad things are so much better this morning.

jamielvsaustin wrote:I'm hoping that it was the medicine that had her behaving that way and not the pain so that it will end quicker. You know what I mean? Obviously I don't want your dog in pain, but if the medicine (that they used to put her under) wears off and that was the cause of the behavior then you guys can move on towards getting her better ASAP.

If it was my dog, it wouldn't make me afraid of her or considering rehoming/euthanizing her. It would be something I'd accept. I don't think your dog is aggressive towards people, or even aggressive at all...this is a special circumstance-please don't listen to anyone that tells you differently.

Are you serious? Did someone actually suggest that?! From her actions from just coming out of surgery and doped up on morphine?! I'm assuming it was deleted, thank god, before I could see it. I would have lost it. She is 11 years old and is a sweetheart of a dog. Always has been. She adores everyone that comes into the house and everyone she meets on the street. The only time she ever bites, as I said, is out of fear or pain, which is not unusual for a dog to do. I don't hold it against her one bit, and don't consider her to be human aggressive at all. Just ask everyone new that meets her. She's your instant best friend (seriously, you've never been truly been greeted by a dog until you've been greeted by Misty ^^ ). And as I put above, it was from her confusion/fear of the morphine/anesthesia. She's fine this morning.

And btw, Misty is a small dog (Lhasa Apso), since everyone probably is thinking she's a PB (understandably since this is a PB forum). Just wanted to clarify.
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

No no no...no one here said it...don't know if you've posted on other forums...just in your first post you seemed a bit defensive-you were young when your family got her, so you didn't have a say in spay/or not...and then you mentioned why you thought she was biting...seemed defensive too. And I completely understand, I'd feel/act/react the same way. I'm sorry if I freaked you out, I totally didn't mean it. I just wanted to show support and let you know "I've got your back" if anyone does start talking like that. I'm sure this whole situation is very stressful for you and I didn't mean to add to that stress.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Bully_Love » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am

Oh, it's ok. :) Just a misunderstanding. I am very relieved no one actually said that. I was just clarifying with the spay because I know where people's minds would jump to and just wanted them to understand the situation before something may have been said. And I just wanted to stress that she's not normally like how she was acting last night. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong picture of my dog. I guess I'm just being defensive in her defense. She's my baby. :)

Thank you so much for being concerned and understanding. :) It's been an emotional past 2 days.
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues