Fixed dogs' nutritional needs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Fixed dogs' nutritional needs?

Postby bully_mama » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm

I was only curious because I saw it on the website. I've never had an overweight dog, intact or fixed. And I've always free range fed my adult dogs unless there's a puppy around. And when they're not free range, they get fed 2x a day. (Once in the morning and once in the evening). They get lots of exercise. Especially in the summer time.

As for wanting to switching their food and preferring an all stage food, I have a few reasons:
1) saving some money (who doesn't like saving money if they can?)
2) I suspect Loki may have an allergy. I've switched his food a few times over the years. He started out on Beneful, but he would chew his tail near the base. The hair is still rather thin and hasn't grown completely back in. Then we switched to Nurto, it improved but he still had flaky dry skin. Then we switched to Just 6 by Rachel Ray's. Same thing with his skin. But no more chewing. Just 6 isn't much better than Beneful, but he hasn't been chewing. I even bathe him with oatmeal shampoo.
3) Mya is on purina puppy chow. I know its trash, but at the time I bought it, I didn't have a car and couldn't get a ride to anywhere but the local supermarket. She hasn't shown any skin issues, but she has rancid gas and poops A LOT.

So I'm going to give Acana or TOW a try. But like Misskiwi said, trial and error. Hopefully they both do well on one or the other and that will be that. If anyone has any other suggestions on a grain-free food, or something to help with Loki's dry skin, I'm always willing to give it a try.
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Check out Petflow.com for prices on foods. I can usually order online and ship to me cheaper than what they sale it for at the local holistic stores. Some places will even give a "buy 10 bags and the next is free" like one of my local shops do for Acana. The one that started doing that helps bring the price down to about $58/bag vs the $65/bag I normally pay.

PM Jamie<3Austin on here and she can give you many more sites to get deals on! She's always checking out the latest deals lol

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby bully_mama » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks Curly, will do. =)
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby rachel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 pm

I've seen Royal Canin spayed/neutered specific cat food formulas at work, but hadn't seen anything for dogs... I also see this as a marketing gimmick, but I'm also concerned that it perpetuates the myth that altered pets get fat and lazy... All of my dogs are altered (I won't have one that isn't)...

I feed my 3 monsters Natural Balance because
a) I work at Petco and get a discount on it and
b) it's an all life stage food (Jellybean is 8 months, Thor is 9 months, and Dallas is 2 years)

I buy 60 pounds of food about every 4-6 weeks and feed each dog anywhere from 2 to 4 cups mixed with veggies a day, depending on how active they are... They fast one day a week, except for Dallas, whom I can't keep the weight on for some reason...
rachel
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Enigma wrote:Yes, but there's a huge difference between saying spay/neuter changes metabolism in general and saying spay/neuter might change the metabolism of some dogs. I agree with warning dog owners of the possibility of gaining weight after spay/neuter, but saying it happens with all dogs is wrong imo. Obesity is not just a problem of spayed/neutered dogs, the majority of intact show dogs are proof of that.

20% is not a big deal if you are paying attention, but it IS a big deal and can really add up over time if you are not. I'm not going to stop telling the truth, and hormonal influences DO change metabolism.

You may not notice in your own dogs so you don't want to believe me, but its a fact.

I also agree there are plenty of obese show dogs. Its not that hard to overfeed a dog, especially a dog getting a lot of training rewards. I had to increase my dogs food by 30% when we stopped doing agility this summer (gas prices killed my budget). Even I didn't realize how many calories I was dishing out in teeny tiny pieces of cheese.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues