Dog poops way too much

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog poops way too much

Postby randomroads » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 pm

When I got my dog I used her pound food (Science Diet) to transition her over to my food. She was constantly pooping. The first movement of the day would be solid, the second would be softer, and on and on until it was literally dripping out like liquid. I had her on Victor for a while and she kept doing it. I tried probiotics and stuff and nothing helped. I switched her dog food recently to Diamond Naturals and she's still pooping her brains out. When she's off leash she'll stop every other minute and squat and liquid comes out. Sometimes she keeps squatting and keeps straining. Sometimes when she's on leash she'll stop dead in her tracks multiple times. My vet has no idea what could be the problem, suggested an elimination diet, but I'm completely baffled by it.

Could anyone tell me anything that could cause a dog to go up to 15 times a day (I kept track for a week and that was one days worth of pooping)?
randomroads
Matured Bully

Re: Dog poops way too much

Postby Novy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

There's a lot of great knowledge here, but 15 times a day is something you should be seeing a vet about rather than asking here.
Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm

My vet has no idea what could be the problem, suggested an elimination diet
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Did she have the same problem while on the Science Diet?

How much does she eat and how often?

How long have you had this dog?
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm

What tests has your vet done or recommended?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Has she had all of her shots yet?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:What tests has your vet done or recommended?

Excellent question. Your vet should have started with baseline labwork (CBC, Chemistry, Thyroid), fecal flotation, broad spectrum deworming and abdominal radiographs. If all of that checked out, I'd follow up with a TLI, Cobalamin and Folate through Michigan State lab. If everything still checked out, then I'd be looking into abdominal ultrasound +/- intestinal biopsies depending on the severity of the disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby randomroads » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

She's had all the worm tests done, including checking for giardia and coccidia and was treated for round worms when I first brought her home. Her fecal floats are normal, now. A blood panel was done, and her thyroid was checked (we were trying to find the cause of her rashes, turns out it's a grass allergy). She had the same issues on Science Diet when I brought her home, so I'm assuming she was doing it at the pound, too.

I'm going to call my vet and see if we did any of the other stuff, since I don't have her paper work here at home. Thanks for the suggestions!

And yes, the recommended core vaccines have been done.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Boy am I tired. I missed some questions. I've had her for almost a year. She eats 2.5 to 3 cups a day, depending on how hungry she is. Sometimes she'll leave some in the bowl. She eats twice a day with a snack in the middle on weekends and that's taken out of her dinner feeding.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 am

I specifically asked about
If all of that checked out, I'd follow up with a TLI, Cobalamin and Folate through Michigan State lab.
and they said no, they hadn't done it. We're going to do that and see if we can position her for a radio-graph without sedation or something very mild. Her appointment is Monday.

Thank you so much for a suggestion my vet didn't do. I'm going to ask why it wasn't even suggested (her files usually show if I reject something that's suggested but there's nothing about these tests) and then make a judgement call about maybe switching to another vet depending on the answer.
I've been reading up on Cobalamin deficiency and it looks like it can be something that's fairly easily treatable. I seem to remember a family member's dog had to get B12 shots on a regular basis for some illness, but that was years ago. I sent them an email to see what it was for.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 pm

I would also consider a fecal culture, or at least ask your vet about it. We have been seeing some symptomatic cases of cryptosporidium and campylobacter at my clinic.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:20 pm

How much does she weigh?

3 cups a day is a lot of a good food. Depending on how big she is, she may be overeating, which can cause diarrhea and tons of poop.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I would also consider a fecal culture, or at least ask your vet about it. We have been seeing some symptomatic cases of cryptosporidium and campylobacter at my clinic.

This ^

We have too, and most times we were able to find it on an in house fecal smear test (a little different from a regular fecal test). Most cases responded well to medication and cleared up quickly. You may also want to talk to your vet about a trial run of the Hill's I/D diet. As much as I personally don't like Hill's, it really does make a big difference in dogs with intestinal issues. Another thing our Dr.s do in cases like this is a round of a full spectrum wormer like Drontal just in case the parasites were missed in a fecal test. Some parasites don't shed eggs as frequently as others and the tested sample very well could not have contained any even when that parasite is present in the dog's system.

Take the label off the bag of food and bring it with you to your appointment. Make sure it contains not only the ingredient list, but also the nutritional percentages. He/she may want to see how much fat/protein your dog is getting, and it
ay help with a diagnosis.

Also, make sure the dog isn't getting any thing else to eat besides the dog food. No people food, no treats. To still offer treats, take a can of the exact same food and either freeze pieces (an icecube tray works great for this) or bake ortions like you would human cookies.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby randomroads » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 am

She weighs exactly 67.4 pounds. Her body condition is very good. Good muscle tone, nice tuck, last rib shows and other ribs can be felt clearly but aren't completely visible unless she's panting hard. She's a very bully dog, both wide and naturally muscular. We run up to 4 miles a day, play fetch maybe 20 minutes a day after work, flirt pole whenever the ground is nice enough. I don't think she's overweight!

She looks a lot like this dog as far as body goes, but she's got tan/cream spots and a red nose -

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 pm

randomroads wrote:She weighs exactly 67.4 pounds. Her body condition is very good. Good muscle tone, nice tuck, last rib shows and other ribs can be felt clearly but aren't completely visible unless she's panting hard. She's a very bully dog, both wide and naturally muscular. We run up to 4 miles a day, play fetch maybe 20 minutes a day after work, flirt pole whenever the ground is nice enough. I don't think she's overweight!

3 cups a day doesn't seem like a lot (certainly not too much) for a 65-70 pound active dog, so I don't think thats the problem.

Your vet probably didn't do more tests because the dog is not acting ill or losing weight. Most people would have done what you've done and been happy they didn't find anything wrong. I wouldn't be too hard on your vet, just keep going back and taking the next step to make sure we aren't missing something treatable.

The fecal culture is a good thought too, just didn't think of it since the pup wasn't having diarrhea. This is why even vets used to second working up 2nd opinions still sometimes need a second (or third or fourth!) opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues