Running With Puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Running With Puppy

Postby Das Disco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello world!

My little Bruno is now 5 months old and my girl wants to take him out for a jog. Now i have not really played to rough with him because of his joints and was wondering at his current age what is acceptable in terms of running with him? From what i can tell short bursts for like 25 yards or so and thats it. Another source said not to even run him to just take him to the grass and let him run himself... Keep the huamn exercise seperate from the dog.

Any advice would be much appreciated :D
Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Re: Running With Puppy

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

I wouldn't use him as a jogging partner until he's over a year-18months old.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Das Disco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I wouldn't use him as a jogging partner until he's over a year-18months old.

Good to know, thank you :)

:run:
Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Right, you are supposed to wait until the growth plates close at 18 months before doing things like jogging with them where they have to go at your speed.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Das Disco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

I play tug games with Bruno, you think i should stop until this time? I feel tug games can put stress on his forward body and joints.

Is there an approved list of activities for puppies and dates? Like a chart? That would be awesome :D
Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm

The problem is really forced exercise, and excessively rough, high-impact exercise. If tug is mild, go ahead and continue. If your games of tug involve front feet leaving the floor, then I would tone it down a bit.

Jogging is fine as pups get older, but its important to keep it short so you are not overtaxing growing joints. I would wait until 8-10 months to jog, and not do more than a mile twice a day until 18 months. After 18 months, your dog can run as far as you can so long as you train daily together and monitor closely for overheating in warm and humid (humid often worse than hot) weather. AB3
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Das Disco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:The problem is really forced exercise, and excessively rough, high-impact exercise. If tug is mild, go ahead and continue. If your games of tug involve front feet leaving the floor, then I would tone it down a bit.

Jogging is fine as pups get older, but its important to keep it short so you are not overtaxing growing joints. I would wait until 8-10 months to jog, and not do more than a mile twice a day until 18 months. After 18 months, your dog can run as far as you can so long as you train daily together and monitor closely for overheating in warm and humid (humid often worse than hot) weather. AB3

Thats exactly what i wanted to know! I have tugged where his front paws leave the floor so now i will be sure to ease up.

Thank you to everyone for your help, Bruno is growing up to be quite the dog 8)
Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues