Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Top 5 Foods

Postby YoungWinsk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 am

I ordered some TOTW High Prairie Puppy food for my 8 month only Female Pit Bull, Sierra. How much should I feed her and how many times a day? And until she gets how old? She has been at a shelter so I don't think she's been getting great food. Thanks :)
YoungWinsk
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

how does blue buffalo compare to some of the other brands?. Im currently tryin to find a dog food for my pup that is better for him but also cost effective. i started off feeding him purina puppy chow, but he has skin sensitivy and some kind of acne. After talkin with the woman at the feed store, i am looking for somthing with higher protein and less corn.

Some of the brands listed in this thread i couldnt find at my local pet store. And the blue buffalo seems to be extreamly expensive.
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby SweetChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I only read the first 5 pages or so because this thread has gotten so long so I'm sorry if this has already been covered. Nina is my first pit, and I don't know too much about them, but I have heard that they are prone to skin problems. I wrote down some of the most recommended brands that were listed in the first few pages (with Blue Buffalo the most likely I'll be able to find in my area) but was wondering if there were any that would be specifically good to help prevent issues with her skin. I would rather PREVENT anything than have to worry about fixing a problem down the line, and she does scratch a lot so I'm a bit worried. Nina was abandoned at my house at about 6 months old so I don't really know much about her health history and I want to make the best decision for her.

Also, with regards to raw food, is that literally just going to the store and buying raw meat and giving that to her? Or should I be looking for something in the pet store? I've also heard rumors that feeding raw meat can make a dog more aggressive. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for any help. This new pit "mommy" needs any advice she can get =p
SweetChaos
Newborn Bully

Postby Cyndera » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Spot's Stew. I have been feeding it to my cat ( the cat food, of course), and her coat is wonderful, she really likes the taste, and it's decently priced. The ingredients are good, too.
Thanks for any input.

Aileen
Cyndera
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

I was feeding Kanobi NV Rabbit kibble and rotated him to NV Salmon and he is now very very loose when he deficates. I thought rotation of feed of the same brand was seemless and without digestive issue. What is the problem?
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz401 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 am

Blue Buffalo -large breed- puppy is what ive been feeding my pup. it was recommended to me by a close friend of mine who has been working with pitbulls for years. thoughts?
LouDiamondz401
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm

LouDiamondz401 wrote:Blue Buffalo -large breed- puppy is what ive been feeding my pup. it was recommended to me by a close friend of mine who has been working with pitbulls for years. thoughts?

The bag says 1.2%minimum on calcium, and it should be a 1.2% maximum for a large breed puppy food. Without a maximum calcium level, it is hard to evaluate weather this food is appropriate for a large breed puppy. I'm a fan of the blue buffalo brand, so as long as your pup stays lean through the growth period (also important to prevent orthopedic disease) its up to you if you want to find something more restrictive or not. It also depends on how large your pup is likely to get, if he's going to be over 60-70 pounds, I'd recommend making sure he is on a closer to ideal food for large breed growth. If he's going to be closer to the 50 pounds or less, I wouldn't worry about it.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby LouDiamondz401 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
LouDiamondz401 wrote:Blue Buffalo -large breed- puppy is what ive been feeding my pup. it was recommended to me by a close friend of mine who has been working with pitbulls for years. thoughts?

The bag says 1.2%minimum on calcium, and it should be a 1.2% maximum for a large breed puppy food. Without a maximum calcium level, it is hard to evaluate weather this food is appropriate for a large breed puppy. I'm a fan of the blue buffalo brand, so as long as your pup stays lean through the growth period (also important to prevent orthopedic disease) its up to you if you want to find something more restrictive or not. It also depends on how large your pup is likely to get, if he's going to be over 60-70 pounds, I'd recommend making sure he is on a closer to ideal food for large breed growth. If he's going to be closer to the 50 pounds or less, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. So far so good. I feel like shes on the thinner side but shes eating 3/4 times a day and is real active
LouDiamondz401
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 am

Blue Buffalo is okay...I would prefer Taste of the Wild for sure. I used to feed my dog Totw...great coat no problems what so ever besides the gas..haha. they might of changed the formula so the gas could be gone but i have no clue.

I've been feeding my dog pura vita no grain..he seems to love it and the stool is nice and solid. hes right around 45-50lbs.. I sometimes also throw in evangers can food..should look into that as well.

SweetChaos wrote:
Also, with regards to raw food, is that literally just going to the store and buying raw meat and giving that to her? Or should I be looking for something in the pet store? I've also heard rumors that feeding raw meat can make a dog more aggressive. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for any help. This new pit "mommy" needs any advice she can get =p

yes raw food is raw...with other veggies and nutrients of course. and no that is false....it's just going back to what the ancestors/dogs have been eating...raw. if you have the money and time i'd highly recommend raw...just ease it in.
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby anaverageasian » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Starting to get annoyed with dog food...
My 7m came eating nutrisource. My 4m came on pro plan. I was mixing with authority to switch both over and ended up coughing up the cash to switch both to blue wilderness puppy over the last week. I'm trying to absorb so much info and now find wilderness puppy has garlic which is bad, yes? Maybe that explains the gas. So, talked to a vet tech friend who recommends hills brands (not science diet).
Also, corn. What's the deal here. Yeah wolves don't eat corn. Domestic dogs have adapted? How much should corn or lack of affect my decision.

I've been trying to read as much as I can and make good decisions from that but now I just need advice. Also, the ivet stuff my vet gave me I haven't touched because of the brewers rice is the second (?) ingredient. Anyone used this?
anaverageasian
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 pm

anaverageasian wrote:Starting to get annoyed with dog food...
My 7m came eating nutrisource. My 4m came on pro plan. I was mixing with authority to switch both over and ended up coughing up the cash to switch both to blue wilderness puppy over the last week. I'm trying to absorb so much info and now find wilderness puppy has garlic which is bad, yes? Maybe that explains the gas. So, talked to a vet tech friend who recommends hills brands (not science diet).
Also, corn. What's the deal here. Yeah wolves don't eat corn. Domestic dogs have adapted? How much should corn or lack of affect my decision.

I've been trying to read as much as I can and make good decisions from that but now I just need advice. Also, the ivet stuff my vet gave me I haven't touched because of the brewers rice is the second (?) ingredient. Anyone used this?

I don't buy any food that has corn in it. Corn is a filler, and has no nutritional gain for dogs. As for Hills, you won't catch me feeding that either. Your "vet" friend probably recommended it because vet offices get a kick back for selling it.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby anaverageasian » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

She's a vet tech. She feeds her dogs hills t/d. I wouldn't be getting it from her anyway. Should I write off all their prescription diet s then?
anaverageasian
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm

No, the prescription diets are good when dogs have certain medical issues, or if you are trying to isolate something. I wouldn't advise feeding them to a dog that is healthy tho and doesn't need a prescription diet.

If you are looking for a good food to feed, there are many listed in this thread and many many others. Taste of the Wild, Acana, Fromm, are a few of the best out there. I personally feed Acana Pacific Stream (fish) currently. I fed TOTW for a couple years and loved it, but changed up after the last recall and just never changed back.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 am

Vet clinics don't get a kickback for selling Hills and our mark ups are significantly lower than food you purchase at a commercial store.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

No? I thought they did. Didn't they used to, or am I thinking of a different brand?

Curly_07
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues