Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Enigma wrote:
How often do neurological issues occur with this condition? Like lameness/weakness in back legs or even complete paralysis of the back end? I guess a good thing is that the condition isn't painful for the dog so they can still have a long, painfree life.

Laryngeal paralysis has been associated with other neurologic conditions, but its usually just an "older dog" thing. Is your pup showing other neurologic symptoms?
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

It's hard to determine if her muscle loss and occasional wobblyness is due to her old age and joint issues (arthritis in her shoulder and a bad hip) or it's an early sign of a neurological issue. I believe it's just old age, she has minimal problems otherwise and is overall a healthy dog (her lungs are clean, there's no signs of cancer anywhere, her bloodwork is good, her liver and kidneys are ok, her heart sounds good, she has minimal joint issues, we fixed her teeth and we removed every lump there was). We fixed so many things already, I know we'll find a way to fix this too.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm

The vet my sister saw at Tufts felt said that at least in Lupi's case, the whole thing is a neurological issue. It is neurological degeneration that interferes w/the functioning of the airway, and will also lead to gradual difficulty in the rear. On the other hand, Lupi trotted for the best part of a mile and a half yesterday when we went for a walk together.

On a much more negative note, my sister said the vet told her the stiching in his airway has undone, his airway is pretty much back where it was prior to surgery. My sister won't put him through surgery again, she's planning on beefing up the air conditioning at home.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Leslie H wrote:On a much more negative note, my sister said the vet told her the stiching in his airway has undone, his airway is pretty much back where it was prior to surgery. My sister won't put him through surgery again, she's planning on beefing up the air conditioning at home.
Sorry to hear that :( I hope they will be able to manage it without another surgery.

We don't really have an official diagnosis yet, but the symptoms match and they checked her larynx when she was under and it looks like it doesn't work properly. But we will still have to do additional tests to confirm GOLLP. This disease is quite rare here I guess, because I haven't found many people who have any experience with it and the only one who is dealing with something similar with her newfoundland right now was sent to Vienna, Austria because our vets were unable to do every test that's necessary.

Right now we'll just manage it untill I find the right vet and recover for a bit financially after her recent vet bills. Brina is doing quite well if I keep her calm, she went on a 2 hour walk yesterday without any problems. She gets a bit winded when going up stairs, but nothing serious. The only time I really have to watch her and keep her calm is when I have visitors, because she's just so damn happy, she starts to have problems breathing, but so far she calmed down quickly every time so it's not a problem. It's good that she's a very laid back dog in general, it's not hard keeping her calm and minimising her breathing problems. She has no issues the majority of time (for now at least) :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Brina's laryngeal paralysis showed us it's nasty side today, we ended up at the emergency vet on a Saturday at midnight because she couldn't breathe (the first part of the video shows it). They couldn't do much because they have no surgeons who could do such a complicated procedure at this late hour, so we tried giving her oxygen and a sedative. It worked, Brina calmed down and started breathing normally. They gave me sedatives to keep her sedated through the day tomorrow and she's going to a different vet clinic for the surgery on Monday. The surgeon who will be operating on her is the only one in our country who has done more than a couple of these procedures so I trust him to get the job done well. He just has to get a team together and that will take some time, I really hope we will go through this weekend without any major problems. Please keep Brina in your thoughts.. She is ok right now, she is sleeping and breathing normally (the second part of the video shows it), I'm staying awake through the night with her. The whole thing is scary and I'm really worried about her... I just can't loose her...

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Good thoughts sent. I'm sorry you guys are having such a hard time. :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I saw this on Facebook. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I'm sending thoughts for a good surgery and a fast recovery. You're both in my thoughts and my heart.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 am

We made it through Sunday with the help of sedatives, Brina is doing good. I'm waiting for the surgeon to call me and tell me when they will be able to do the surgery today. Gawd I hope everything will go as planned...
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 am

Keep us posted. <3
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm

The surgery was done late in the afternoon today, they stayed there two hours after their closing time just for Brina. They did a great job and Brina is doing good :) I couldn't be happier right now :nana:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby heartbullies » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Awesome news! You're both in my thoughts. xoxo

so glad surgery went well. That video was so scary to watch. :(

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Congratulations on the surgery! :yipee: I'll bet that takes a load of stress off.
Here's to a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am

Brina is doing great today, she's still a little sleepy, but that's understandable since she's been on sedatives for the last 2 days and a half. But she's eating and drinking normally, she went on a little walk, she even walked slowly up and down the stairs without any breathing problems, which is something she could barely do before the surgery. The surgeon jsut called me to check up on her, I'm very impressed with this vet clinic, they did such a great job :)

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 am

:thumbsup: That's great!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Such a GREAT picture! Jaka rockin' his yellow ribbon and Brina looking all like she wants me to kiss her face :inlove: Yours are 2 of my favorites! Glad she is feeling better!
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues