any vets online? penis dripping blood when excited.(HELPPPP)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

any vets online? penis dripping blood when excited.(HELPPPP)

Postby Jester27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 am

First of all. I already have been to the vet... But i want a second opinion from any vets on here? or anyone who has experience with "prostatitis" could this be it

here is picture

the vet prescribed "CLAVAMOX. Amoxicillin trihydrate/ clavulanate potassium"
250mg 14 tabs .1 tab, every 12 hour. He was not sure what was wrong and just said that these pills should clear it up and wanted to save me money before doing any xrays or anything. (nice guy, but i will def be going to another vet if things dont get better)

the dog drips blood only when excited.(if i am about to feed him or just get home from work, he is excited and blood drips down..) hes been on the antibiotics now for 5 days.... and still bleeding... Any VETS know what this could be? and what should tests should i make sure my vet does with my dog when i go back? like xray? anything else? any recommended treatments if the problem is "prostatitis" (iv been researching on the internet and i think its prostatitis.)

please help. my poor baby :(

the tip of penis is reddened... and again the dog is fine no blood but if i start petting him and getting him excited, blood will drip... acts fine. no pee in urine... just when excited it drips blood out...

i will def be taking my dog back to the vet if things dont get better when the meds run out. but until then, i want more opinions.

anyone know if i am qualified for petinsurance how? i talk to my vet?, im afraid this is going to be costly i made less than 10 grand last year if that helps? but i live with my parents. i am a college student...
Jester27
Super Bully

Re: any vets online? penis dripping blood when excited.(HELP

Postby Jester27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 am

zoomed in.

Image :crybaby:
Jester27
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 am

I can't tell anything from the photo - and would definitely want x-rays and a urine analysis with culture.

In general, you should see improvement after 5 days of antibiotics. If you haven't seen any improvement, its time for a second opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jester27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 am

thank you. its only been 4 days. tomorrow night it will be 5 days. and if you look at the photo the tip of the penis is dark red. compared to pinkish (its normal color)

so urinalysis with culture and xray. got it...thats all i should get the vet to do? nothing else needed? should i get xray first and c outcome? or doesnt matter get both?

will my dog have to be put to sleep during an xray? he is a very obedient dog and i can get him to stay without moving... not sure if i will need to put him to sleep to get the xray though...

any guesses on what it could be.

thanks again
Jester27
Super Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:51 am

When a dog is aroused the tip of the penis tends to be a darker red, since blood is circulating through it stronger then when not aroused. I wouldn't call that unusual
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jester27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 am

thx :bowdown:
Jester27
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:01 am

Jester27 wrote:so urinalysis with culture and xray. got it...thats all i should get the vet to do? nothing else needed? should i get xray first and c outcome? or doesnt matter get both?

will my dog have to be put to sleep during an xray? he is a very obedient dog and i can get him to stay without moving... not sure if i will need to put him to sleep to get the xray though...

Those would just be a starting point to figure out why your dog is bleeding (and only if bleeding, the change in color is normal as stated).

Most of the time sedation is not needed if the people taking the x-rays are patient and skilled. Some clinics have a policy to sedate all animals for x-rays so it might be needed anyway...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jester27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 am

the bleeding has stopped. but what confuses me is it bled until the day after i gave him the last tablet of antibiotics.
its been 2 days in a row and i pet him and encourage him with my voice and he gets all excited and no blood... is a vet still needed if the bleeding stops? because the bleeding has stopped... but what confuses me is on thursday morning it was his last pill. then it bled friday morning... but then now... saturday night. the bleeding has stopped. i will give it a few more days. if no bleeding occures in 2 weeks . its ok to skip the vet? or could it be underlying issues even if the bleeding stops.

the reason is because im extremely low on cash. i have no health insurance for myself and my savings was cleared out when i herniated my disc a few months ago. im very low on cash and im hoping if the bleeding doesnt show up at all then maybe my dog is good to go! maybe it was just a little cut or something afterall...

cliffs

no more bleeding from penis = no need for vet?

i have the vet appointment scheduled for NEXT saturday but i have 24 hours to cancel and i wont be charged. i figured this would be the best way. but i plan on canceling if the bleeding does not occur again.
Jester27
Super Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I would still strongly recommend a urine test. Ask your vet if you can just bring one in to be ran without an appointment. Since you were there recently, they may do the test and only request to see the dog if it shows a problem. Since the "bleeding" continued so long while being treated, it could very well be a sign that there are other underlying issues (I.e. bladder stones/ bladder cancer), or simply indicate that the infection was severe enough to warrant prolonged treatment (infection not quite gone after initial treatment time). A urinalysis is usually fairly inexpensive, just make sure it includes a sediment analysis to check for crystals. Crystals in the urine usually indicate a potential to form/have bladder stones.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues