confused about rice and potatoes.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby Boo8mymoney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:01 am

What I have read is that rice and potatoes are not good for dogs. If that is the case then why is there so many dog food brands that have those two in their titles?
Rice may have arcnic in it. People are adviced to limit their intake till this issue is dealt with. It might be just a California thing. I dont know so I have decided no rice for my dog.
I think red potatoes are ok. But most companies dont inform which potatoes they use.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me. The more I read the more confussed I get. My dog is a very very picky eater. She will only eat a certain food for a couple of months then I am right back to the drawing board. I have spent so much money on her food trying to keep her happy. I think she eats better then me and son. LOL
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Have you tried Prey Model Raw? (You can do this for under $1/lb, or about what a "good" dog food costs.)

http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Boo8mymoney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm not a big raw fan. I don't want to take any risks and I travel a lot with my dog. It would be very hard for me to take her food, keep it cold till I can feed it to her... Specially on camping and hunting trips. I need to stick with kibble cause I always keep a days worth of food for her in my car for spontaneous trips.
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

Rice and potatoes are safe for dogs.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 am

rice and potatoes are not good for dogs with yeast issues, they turn to sugar, sugar feeds the yeast
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am

pblove wrote:rice and potatoes are not good for dogs with yeast issues, they turn to sugar, sugar feeds the yeast

Can you provide some back up for this? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to what foods do what, or turn into what once the body breaks them down. Our girl Bailey has had a constant battle with yeast.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Boo8mymoney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm

As far as I know Boo has no food issues.... Other than being way to picky. I am just trying to find a food she will eat and wanting to keep her healthy and avoid issues that might happen because of her food when she is older.
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Postby Boo8mymoney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm

As far as I know Boo has no food issues.... Other than being way to picky. I am just trying to find a food she will eat and wanting to keep her healthy and avoid issues that might happen because of her food when she is older.
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Boo8mymoney wrote:As far as I know Boo has no food issues.... Other than being way to picky. I am just trying to find a food she will eat and wanting to keep her healthy and avoid issues that might happen because of her food when she is older.

This is a BIG sign of "IBS", aka food allergies. The Four Major Horsemen of food allergies are Wheat, Corn, Soy, Dairy, so absolutely eliminate all of those for at least a month. An elimination diet as you'll be able to determine if it is meat or "other based".
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Boo8mymoney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am

She is on Taste of the wild. I am very picky as what her food is. I was wanting to find a less exspensive food that is just as good for her. I noticed a lot of people feed dog food that has rice as one of the main ingredients.
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Rice is fine as far as allergens, but any carb will contribute to inflammation, which is something else to understand about GI issues. Once the GI is compromised, there are large particles floating around the blood stream that stress out the liver and confuse the body's normal immunity, leading to auto-immune responses.

Based on your other posting regarding eating grass (which they will do to improve their gut flora), I'd guess she isn't feeling too great. You might want to add anti-inflammatory supplements (Salmon oil/coconut oil, no flax or seed oils like Canola oil) and a broad spectrum probiotic. The "medical dosage for Salmon oil is 1gram/10 lbs of dog. If you aren't already trying to address the inflammation issue, this is where I'd start.

I know you are doing your best given life's constraints, but TOTW has MANY ingredients that are questionable. Canola oil, guar gum, "Natural favoring" (aka MSG), peas and beans (legumes), eggs, and tomatoes all may cause problems, especially for a compromised system.

If you really want to get to the solution, I'd strongly recommend contacting a local raw feeders group to get a mentor to help you with a month of "ultra, clean, raw" Prey Model feeding. Then add back veggies, dairy, and other allergens slowly. A month isn't a really long time, and you'll probably notice differences the first week.

Feeding raw will also be cheaper than feeding TOTW, if you spend the time to talk to someone with experience. And it will save you time and (vet?) expense to figure out the problem sooner vs later.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:52 pm

If you can find someone who carries it, look at Victor dog food. I've only heard fantastic things about it; I just switched my kids, so I can't give feedback myself. Their grain free version has sweet potatoes (not sure if you're opposed to them as much as white potatoes). but (obviously) no rice.

http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victor ... Stages.pdf

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... rain-free/
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby randomroads » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Fact is your dog is having digestive issues and you ARE going to have to limit your lifestyle until the problem is ironed out. You wouldn't do spontaneous road trips with a infant who's suffering from colic, would you? Your dog needs stability so you can figure out what's going on.

I also suggest trying raw. I understand that this limits your ability to have fun and travel, but her HEALTH is important. Once things are figured out and she's functioning normally again, then you can revisit your lifestyle and see how to incorporate HER needs into it. Also, you can buy a travel cooler that plugs into the cigarette lighter and also has an adapter for wall outlets. Truckers use them a lot to keep food fresh. You can use freeze dried meats (made yourself or bought) to supplement the protein levels in The Honest Kitchen for camping trips. Both of these products would be about the same weight as your kibble.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Stewie my Pit/Bulldog mix can't do potatoes or rice. He throws up or gets the poopies. I refuse to do Raw as we travel a ton as well...I'll just do kibble.

I feed Nature's Variety Rawboost Venison and it is HEAVEN on his tummy. We never had any issues with sweet potatoes that I can tell...or with grains like barley. You may want to see if you can find a brand with sweet potatoes instead or white/regular potatoes. Otherwise there are great dry kibbles out there that don't have them. Might want to give the Nature's Variety a try. They have a few formulas. We chose Venison only because Stewie had allergies and our vet said that Venison would be where she would start because he hadn't had it before. It was a super easy transition, and it's as close to Raw as I'll go.

Let us know what you decide!

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/ ... og/venison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Boo8mymoney » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

I just won't take a chance with BARF. It isn't gonna work in our life style.
I did more research and I decided to go with 4health. It has four stars from the food advisor website. It is gentle on Tue pocket book too. :-) Boo seems to like it too :-)
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues