Drugs after neuter?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Drugs after neuter?

Postby amalie79 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 pm

It's been a while since I've posted, and this is a question about my lab and not one of my pitties, but I thought you guys might have some good advice...

My young male lab Andre was neutered and chipped today. The vet sent him home with rimadyl. It was 5:30 when I picked him up and I wasn't thinking straight. The vet who did the surgery is the one vet in the clinic who has seen him very little and does not know his history as well as the other two vets. In December, we found Andre as a stray. He had apparently eaten 3 corn cobs (before coming to us). Two were thrown back up and one lodged. He had surgery for that. Four or five weeks later, he had another blockage, this time caused by the intestines folding in on each other; he also had numerous perforations and perintonitis as well as necrotized intestines that had to be removed. About 6 weeks after THAT, he had a short bout of vomiting and lethargy after having been on raw feeding for about 2 weeks.

In other words, my boy has a sensitive tummy, which we thinks manifests itself as him eating lots of inappropriate things, and causing an ugly cycle. We assumed the corn cobs were from being a stray; after the 2nd surgery, we realized that this was a slightly different problem, and we now stay completely up his butt, so to speak, to make sure he doesn't eat things he's not supposed to, is back to cooked food, and maybe back to kibble.

So I'm a little worried about giving him one 75mg rimadyl, even with food. He's never had it before. He did, however, take tramadol after his other surgeries, and tolerated it well. Do I go ahead give him the rimadyl with the rest of his dinner and hope for the best? I gave him a few bites of food a couple of hours ago, which he is keeping down. Do I give him the 12-hour (half) dose instead of the once a day? Give him tramadol, that I know he can handle, even though it's not an anti-inflammatory? I'll call in the morning and ask, but until then...this is the most important time for pain. I'd hate for him to have a miserable night if he doesn't have to. :(
Last edited by amalie79 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Re: Drugs after neuter?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Hmmm maybe a half tab? Tough call.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby amalie79 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks-- I heard from a vet tech friend who also said half a tab was fine as long as he'd eat, so I went ahead and did that.

Fingers crossed.
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm

I recommend doing half doses every 12 hours to prevent stomach upset, and always with food. You can always stop giving it if he doesn't tolerate it well. He probably had an injection of the medication before he woke up from anesthesia, so he's probably already got it in his system.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues