New to the Pack

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New to the Pack

Postby Attibones » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey all. My name is Atticus. Feel free to call me Atti. I currently live in Columbus, Mississippi, but as soon as I can get a job editing or bookshop keeping, I'm planning to make a mad dash to Massachusetts. I've had dogs my whole life and feel I have an extraordinary connection to them. I have always had a hard time making emotional connections with people, but dogs and I just click. I personally have never actually owned a pit bull, but my roommate is my sister, and her pit bull Ruca (ten year old female) sleeps in my bed every morning. I've fostered several pit bulls, one I have to my mother before she could get too serious about having a new baby with my eventual-step-dad, and another (one i thought I was going to keep) which I had to turn over to Shaw Pit Bull Rescue in New Hope, Mississippi, which is about ten miles from our city limits.

To me, pits represent everything I admire in dogs: tenacity, loyalty, humor, grace, intelligence, an attentive soul, and a stunning smile. Plus, they are excellent for spooning. Ruca makes the best pillow. Now that my beagle mix is two and a half, and I have a new fenced in yard, I think it's time for a new puppy. A friend of mine just had a litter of pit bull puppies, and they've offered me the female pick. I'm naming her Huxley Jane (after Aldous Huxley, and after Ruca who has the same middle name).

My three dogs are all couch potatoes and this new puppy should be too. Both of her parents are lazy lazy lazy. I'm seeking a calm puppy with a respectfully submissive energy. I'm looking for a companion animal for the rest of Teddy's (the beagle) life. We won't be living with my sister forever after all.

Anyway, I'm a college student, currently studying creative writing. I spend most of my times with all the dogs (Ruca, the pit, Teddy, beagle, Dylan, dachshund) and my eight aquariums. I paint dog portraits, love to bake and knit, and I'm a pretty decent writer. The dogs and I love watching movies, reading books (just finished one of Cesar Milan's books), and just listening to the art of Janice Joplin, Sublime, and The Black Keys. We're pretty laid-back people, but I'm a bit of a hellion when someone tells me Ruca is a danger to the neighborhood kids. I'm an advocate for education, and have given several presentations at my school about the many myths perpetuated by pit bull stereotypes.

I'm looking for some good puppy training tools, toys, and activities that will help stimulate my new puppy's brain and exercise her quickly growing body. I want to be totally prepared when I pick her up in six weeks.
Attibones
Newborn Bully

Location: Columbus, MS, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth

Re: New to the Pack

Postby CallSignOWL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 pm

hi there! :hi
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby Attibones » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello! Just have to say that I love your profile pic. Growlithe and arcanine are my favorite Pokemon!
Attibones
Newborn Bully

Location: Columbus, MS, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth

Postby CallSignOWL » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Attibones wrote:Hello! Just have to say that I love your profile pic. Growlithe and arcanine are my favorite Pokemon!

haha, thanks!
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

:welcome: Please be sure to read all stickies at the tops of each section prior to posting. I'm not sure why you are looking to get a puppy from this "breeder" rather than adopting from a rescue or shelter. After volunteering with them for so long, I couldn't imagine getting another dog from anywhere but a rescue or shelter. Please be sure to check out links I'll post below on breeding/getting a pup from a breeder and things you should look for if you really are wanting to continue with that route.

Breeder Code of Ethics:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info on rescues/shelters/Humane Society/Animal Control should you choose that route:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must Do's/Reads for training/bringing up a puppy:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator