Best sources of antioxidants for our dogs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Best sources of antioxidants for our dogs?

Postby DannyNyce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Lately I have been more aware of the benefits of antioxidants in humans, which brings me to this question.
What natural foods (not kibbles) are the best source of antioxidants for dogs? I know some antioxidant-rich fruit isn't healthy for dogs. Any veggies or fruits? Can I mix it up with the Nutro I feed our dogs?

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Re: Best sources of antioxidants for our dogs?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:23 pm

A lot of foods are adding increased levels of vitamins and selenium to foods for their anti-oxidants. I often see carrots and blueberries added for these reasons. I know both these foods are safe for dogs, and like most foods, are better fresh.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I've started feeding carrots as treats. He really likes them. We'll try green beans next
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:56 pm

cool. we are giving our dogs organic carrots and celery :thumbsup:
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 pm

For the record - raw veggies go right thru - my Ruby poops obvious carrot bits. If you are after nutritional benefits and just not 'cheap snacks', you have to cook them in order to break down their cell walls since dogs don't digest cellulose.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 am

thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

Raw carrots, however make great 'treats' - I chop them up and put them in a water bottle like a tug a jug sort or even an empty vitamin bottle with the lid on. Ruby will do tricks for carrots but they just come out the other end they way they went in - she doesn't notice, tho! LOL
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 pm

I noticed the carrot its in hjs poo too. Lol so much for nutrition. But he likes em
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm

You can try a glob of coconut oil with their food. (Start with a small amount and work up so they don't get the Hershey squirts) if you google nutritional value of coconut (or coconut oil) I bet you'd be surprised. Helps with their coat, helps to keep yeast in check, in antiviral, anti fungal, anti bacterial, can help wounds heal and the dogs love it. I had a pretty serious cut on my finger and rubbed coconut oil on it everyday and now you can barely tell there's a scar there.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:14 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:For the record - raw veggies go right thru - my Ruby poops obvious carrot bits. If you are after nutritional benefits and just not 'cheap snacks', you have to cook them in order to break down their cell walls since dogs don't digest cellulose.

Ditto...

It is important to understand the difference in nutritional availability and nutritional absorption. The food labels provided by the Pet Food Manufacturers refer to what goes in the mouth, not the difference between what goes in and what comes out. Therefore a label may "show" nutritionally appropriate ratios, but when the difference between In and Out are compared, the result will show a different story.

A great example of this is fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K...just remember to stack A DEK in your favor.) which require a fat transport system. If you don't feed your cooked carrots with a little fat, all that great Vit A goes to waste out the other end. The current fear of fats (which started in the 70s), means the pet food companies have subtracted fats to try to convince the Fat phobic public that their products are healthy.

Now look around at your Vegan friends. (I'm not being mean, I was a vegetarian for 30 years.) How many of them have:
dark circles under their eyes (relates to Mg and K),
problems with anxiety/paranoia (Vit D and A),
and low sex drives (Vit D)?

It is REALLY tough to have a healthy diet with good fats on a purely vegetable diet, despite what pet food companies might tell you.

LMW

PS I worked at the San Diego Zoo for a while measuring what came out of exotic species for monitoring fertility... roflmao
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues