heart worm shot?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

heart worm shot?

Postby Breezy833 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 pm

A while back during a vet visit, the tech told me that there was a heart worm shot available. Its much cheaper then monthly cookies. My grandma asked her vet about it , and he said there was a waiver that had to be signed. Im curious if anyone has used this metho of prevention? Pros. Cons. Ect. I'd like to use it if its safe.

Thanks!
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Re: heart worm shot?

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:15 pm

it's called proheart, i do not use it personally.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Proheart is a twice-yearly injectable form of a heartworm preventative called Moxidectin. This drug was previously pulled off the market due to a high risk of side effects, including death. After a couple years of research into the reactions, the drug was allowed back on the market for a limited pool of patients. There is a strict process that goes into selecting dogs for the injections to minimize risk, and you have to be fully informed of what to watch for and what the risks are, hence the waiver.

If you do not live in a HIGH risk area, like florida or louisiana, where 6 months of protection (where HW preventative failures are common) outweighs the risks of the injection, I would not recommend it. Its a great option for those at high risk, but its not even discussed up here in the northern states.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote: Its a great option for those at high risk, but its not even discussed up here in the northern states

It's heavily pushed at the one local vet, no waivers either, the other vet doesn't even recommend hw protection. I stick to monthly pills and none in the winter.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 am

I use Ivermectin, a friend of mine buys Ivermectin Sheep Drench and gives some to all her friends and friend's friends because she barely makes a dent in it with her own dogs.
http://dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html#08sheepdrench (scroll up for basic info)
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Breezy833 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks for the imput. We will stay away from the shot aswell
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I use Ivermectin, a friend of mine buys Ivermectin Sheep Drench and gives some to all her friends and friend's friends because she barely makes a dent in it with her own dogs.
http://dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html#08sheepdrench" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll up for basic info)

Be careful with this - overdoses are deadly and the treatment will cost you thousands...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Celesteandthebullies wrote:I use Ivermectin, a friend of mine buys Ivermectin Sheep Drench and gives some to all her friends and friend's friends because she barely makes a dent in it with her own dogs.
http://dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html#08sheepdrench" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll up for basic info)

Be careful with this - overdoses are deadly and the treatment will cost you thousands...

Hence why I use the sheep drench at heartworm dosage, it's a 0.08% ivermectin solution. The heartworm dosage is much lower than dosages used to treat things like ear mites, etc. None of my kiddos are the purebreds with the drug intolerance gene present. Dakota has the GSD, but the gene is recessive so the Lab's genes would be dominant over it.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
http://dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html#08sheepdrench" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll up for basic info)

Hence why I use the sheep drench at heartworm dosage, it's a 0.08% ivermectin solution. The heartworm dosage is much lower than dosages used to treat things like ear mites, etc. None of my kiddos are the purebreds with the drug intolerance gene present. Dakota has the GSD, but the gene is recessive so the Lab's genes would be dominant over it.

Thats helpful for sure - but you gotta be careful what you spread around. You wouldn't want to be responsible for recommending it to someone - and have them only have access to the 10% cattle drug and over-expose a collie.

I've seen it happen, and it was a veterinary technician who miscalculated the dose too. Luckily for her, her border collie was not MDR-1 negative, and had only mild clinical symptoms.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 am

Yeah, that's why I added the link :) It goes into depth on that stuff, a long read but it covers all the areas. Including different medications/flea repellants that it can react with.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues