They don't get it

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

They don't get it

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

We had a guest speaker in a meeting this morning, a clinical social worker who came to talk about relieving stress in the workplace. And she was terrible. She had so little grasp of any actual stressors that shelter workers experience that she alienated all of us and was condescending, trivializing, and really insincere. We tried to tell her that we wanted to find people we could talk to about things like having to euthanize an animal we've been caring for and that was hard and she said "well, yeah, some people don't like dogs." Yep, I bet that was what we meant.

I feel so lucky that I live with Rob who is also in sheltering and really does understand things. I learned a few years ago that I can't talk to people outside the industry about work issues, and this morning just completely reminded me why.
Amie
Regulator

Re: They don't get it

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am

Wow. Well done.

You can always talk to me my friend. <3
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I hope they didn't pay her to come in and talk to you guys. I do think there are some resources out there for those in sheltering professions (too bad she wasn't one of them).
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 am

Management was pretty pissed as well, and photocopied the little review thing the company asked staff to fill out at the end to be sure that her bosses got them (I know mine was scathing, and the others I saw were nearly as bad) I don't know what we paid - she was part of the company that runs our Employee Assistance Program, which normally sends decent speakers. Work really does a lot to try to provide coping skills and resources, and I completely understand why they got this woman, but she was dreadful.
Amie
Regulator

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers