Pre- anesthesia blood work

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pre- anesthesia blood work

Postby bully_mama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm in the process of setting up appointments to get one of the dogs fixed. I stopped in at the vet's office to get an estimate and ask about their requirements and such. They require pre-anesthesia blood work. The lady wrote down what the blood tests were, but I didn't ask what they were for exactly because I was in a little bit of a rush.

They test for:
- Heart worms (I know about this)
- CBC
- 6HP
- Lyles

She said that they were to make sure the organs are healthy enough to deal with the anesthesia, but what is each test for exactly? Thanks in advance. =)
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Re: Pre- anesthesia blood work

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:24 am

CBC checks red and white blood cells, platelets, etc.

I'm guessing the other thing is a chemistry profile which checks liver function, kidney function, glucose, etc.

Lytes are electrolytes.

:)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Allison's explanation was a good one, mostly we are looking for huge abnormalities that might make us want to postpone the surgery until we figure out what is going on, to catch the 1 in 1,000 with liver or kidney disease. We also pick up a bit of dehydration now and then that will cause us to add fluids.

I'd mostly be worried the tech didn't explain better. They should understand what they are doing and why and be able to explain everything thoroughly. Some things only the doctor will know, but 6HP and Lytes are internal terms that should have been explained MUCH better to you.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby bully_mama » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 pm

While I do agree they should have been explained better to me, I didn't exactly ask either. Originally I was just going to do the heart worm blood test, but he does have a history of hookworms and allergies and I want to be 100% sure he's gonna be ok. Also, the clinic I got the estimate from isn't our regular vet. Their price is a bit more manageable for my budget atm.
Before I go ahead with the appointments, I want to meet the vet that will be doing the procedure and have Loki meet him, as he does have issues with most men. But there's another clinic a good friend of mine recommended to me due to price, and the staff overall, so I'll be checking them out Monday too.
At any rate, thank you both for your replies. =)
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues