Hip dysplasia

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hip dysplasia

Postby pitmomma1225 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 am

Hi. Im new here and couldn't find a thread about this. My 4 year old is seemingly getting some type of arthritis or hip dysplasia in her hind quarters. She's been a very active pup until the last few months where, especially at night, her legs seem to bother her. She obviously doesn't complain as we all know most pitbulls have a very high pain threshold and she's no different. I can just tell. I know that taking her to the vet will be needed but is there anything we can try at home first before going to some kind of steroid or anything like that? I'm not opposed to that, just curious as to whether there's anything I can do for her before going that route? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
pitmomma1225
Newborn Bully

Re: Hip dysplasia

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 am

There isn't really anything you can do at home until you find out exactly what's causing the issue. A steroid is not likely what the vet will give you anyways. The first step is to figure out what's going on.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pitmomma1225 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 am

Ok thank you!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
pitmomma1225
Newborn Bully

Postby BabyReba » Sat May 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, there really isn't a ton you want to do without knowing for sure what is causing the issue. If it's early-onset arthritis, you might end up with pain meds of some sort for pain management, and you can always supplement your pup with high-quality fish oil and/or good joint supplements with glucosamine. My vet swears by Phycox. But you probably shouldn't do any of that til you have a diagnosis so you know what you're treating.
BabyReba
Regulator

Return to Health Issues