Gentizol ear ointment&deafness

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Gentizol ear ointment&deafness

Postby twinkie05 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 am

Hi
I was wonderinf anybody has experienced deafness in their pittie after using Gentizol which is generic for Otomax. I brought my 8 year old pittie to the vet for allergies and rabies shot. They did a free ear cytololgy and found out he had a minor ear infection. Since I had the Gentizol and after poor judgement I used the medication for 2 applications. Then we noticed on Tues 5/21 he could hear. My poor judgement was I had use the same product during his last ear infection and he went deaf for about a day and we flushed out his ears at home. Today the vet flushed out his ears. She saw fluid in both ear canals. He still can't hear. So she is hoping it is just temporary. My husband and I are heartbroken
twinkie05
Newborn Bully

Re: Gentizol ear ointment&deafness

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 am

If the ear drum is ruptured, a large number of topicals will cause deafness. Otomax contains gentamicin, which is an antibiotic that is well known for causing deafness. If the ear drum is healthy its a non-issue, but if the ear drum is ruptured from severe infection the medication gets to parts of the ear where it causes damage. This is rare but does happen. Unfortunately for your dog, gentamicin in the middle ear generally causes permanent deafness.

I'm sorry your dog isn't hearing well. Most dogs adapt quickly to hand signals and it shouldn't affect his quality of life so long as you train him well and prevent him from being off-leash where he could be injured without a verbal recall.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues