IMHA and ITP

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 pm

So far, he hasn't tolerated the Cyclosporine. The vet is giving us Carafate and we'll try the cyclosporine again tomorrow
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Have you tried azathioprine? If not, ask your vet about it.
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10514
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

She mentioned it today but felt that cyclosporine was a better fit for him. We've got carafate and cerenia as an attempt to keep him stomach settled. If it doesn't work, we'll go to azathioprine.
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby twisted » Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 pm

sending good thoughts your way.
twisted
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 am

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Red » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:50 am

My experience with IMHA was devastating, but I am not going in details as I don't want to add negative thoughts. Dogs have recovered from IMHA, and I hope yours will be one as well. Hang in there. What's his PVC now?
User avatar
Red
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 9630
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 am
Location: SoCal

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:57 am

Red, I am so sorry... I went back and read some of your posts. I am truly so sorry.

We are waiting to do another CBC until Monday to give the cyclosporine a chance to work. However, if I feel that he isn't doing well, I will take him to the emergency vet again. They didn't charge me the normal emergency fee last weekend just to do a CBC, which I was very thankful for.

We are expecting the results of the tick panel today as well.
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:04 am

sebb0191 wrote:Red, I am so sorry... I went back and read some of your posts. I am truly so sorry.

We are waiting to do another CBC until Monday to give the cyclosporine a chance to work. However, if I feel that he isn't doing well, I will take him to the emergency vet again. They didn't charge me the normal emergency fee last weekend just to do a CBC, which I was very thankful for.

We are expecting the results of the tick panel today as well.


Don't expect much from the cyclosporine yet. In my experience, it takes 3-6 weeks to build up in the system enough to have significant effects.
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10514
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am

Everything on the big tick panel came back negative, so that is a relief. He's been on the cyclosporine for 4 days now; just started giving it twice a day yesterday. With the Carafate and Cerenia, he's able to keep it down. We go back in on Thursday for another CBC. Overall, he seems stable. Yesterday was the first day that he brought me a toy and wanted to play. It only lasted for about a minute, but I was happy to see a glimpse of my dog again!
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Red » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Sending a load of good thoughts to you and your boy.
User avatar
Red
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 9630
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 am
Location: SoCal

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:47 pm

He's had a good few days and we had our CBC this morning. His platelets have gone from 13,000 to 418,000 in a week! However, his PCV is still at 20% and he has quite a few neutrophils now, which hasn't happened before. We are going to continue to monitor him and do another CBC next Thursday.

Thank you to everyone for the positive vibes!
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 pm

sebb0191 wrote:He's had a good few days and we had our CBC this morning. His platelets have gone from 13,000 to 418,000 in a week! However, his PCV is still at 20% and he has quite a few neutrophils now, which hasn't happened before. We are going to continue to monitor him and do another CBC next Thursday.

Thank you to everyone for the positive vibes!


Thats great news! 20% is still OK, holding steady is better than dropping. If the bone marrow is trying to keep up, its normal for it to crank out more of the other cell types too... weather thats what is going on or not I can't say without numbers and a blood smear, but it could be normal.
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10514
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Miss kiwi, that's what his vet said too, so I'm happy someone else has mentioned it as well. He seems to be holding steady, but I don't consider this a safe situation by any means. He's still under close supervision.

He has developed 2 recent behaviors though that were abnormal for him. I was hoping maybe someone had experience with these medications and these behaviors might be side effects.
1. Sneezing. He goes through these sneezing fits where he sneezes up to 8 times in a row somewhat violently. No dry nose or more than normal discharge though. Just a strange behavior that's occurred since we started all of this.
2. Shivering. This one concerns me more. It's not a constant shiver, but occurs probably 3-5 times per day. It's not violent by any means, but his entire body shivers as if he's cold.

Any ideas as to whether or not these could be medication side effects?
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby twisted » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 pm

i know socks shivers when he is scared or in pain and nervous or just cold.
twisted
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 am

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:13 am

sebb0191 wrote:Miss kiwi, that's what his vet said too, so I'm happy someone else has mentioned it as well. He seems to be holding steady, but I don't consider this a safe situation by any means. He's still under close supervision.

He has developed 2 recent behaviors though that were abnormal for him. I was hoping maybe someone had experience with these medications and these behaviors might be side effects.
1. Sneezing. He goes through these sneezing fits where he sneezes up to 8 times in a row somewhat violently. No dry nose or more than normal discharge though. Just a strange behavior that's occurred since we started all of this.
2. Shivering. This one concerns me more. It's not a constant shiver, but occurs probably 3-5 times per day. It's not violent by any means, but his entire body shivers as if he's cold.

Any ideas as to whether or not these could be medication side effects?


Prednisone will cause the shivering. I'm not sure with the sneezing...
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10514
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: IMHA and ITP

Postby sebb0191 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Just got the results from this week's CBC - platelets are normal, white blood cells are normal, and his PCV is up to 30%! :yipee:
User avatar
sebb0191
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests