Bella's developed bathroom issues

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bella's developed bathroom issues

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 am

Long story short, Bella suffers from IBD which we have under control for the most part, she still has the occasional small episode if she happens to sneak food from the counter or is stressed out over something, but I am able to get her back on track pretty quickly. Last week a few times when I either got up in the morning, or returned from work, she had defecated on the floor instead of outside, which again isn't that uncommon, it's now warm out so she would rather dig through the grass and chase after the birds and her little "brother" than use the potty. Bella will urinate anywhere in the yard, but will only defecate in one small corner that is covered in dirt, she has always been like this and completely refuses to go in the grass unless she really has to go and there is no other choice. Has to be dirt, mulch or stone. The past few days she's refused to even step foot in the grass, she will go off the side entrance of the deck, walk up the sidewalk and just sit and stare or pace back and forth, at times she will step a few feet into the grass to pee, but that's it. She has only defecated twice since Friday, and she usually goes twice a day, the stool was normal, not too hard, not too soft with the normal color (I always check due to her IBD). She's eating fine, drinking plenty of water, playing, not bloated, etc... When i try to call her in, she comes to me half way and then walks back to the corner of the yard and sidewalk and continues to stare at nothing but cars passing by, I even tried walking her to her "poop spot" last night and she wouldn't go near it, nothing has changed in that area. I'm at a loss as to what is going through her head. Any advice? Maybe try the potty rewards all over again?
bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Re: Bella's developed bathroom issues

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 am

Is there poop in her poop spot? Curly has a poop spot, also not in the grass. She doesn't like to poop in grass either unless she has to, but will pee in it. Anyway, if there are 2 or more poops in her poop spot she will not poop. She will hold it for 1-2 days. It took me some time honestly to catch on. I thought she was just constipated here and there...but nope. Maybe it's something like that? I never picked up the poop that often because we now have about an acre yard for her to go in, but now I have to every other day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 am

No poop in the spot, i thought of that as well, cleaned everything up on Friday and again lastnight to make sure, not a single drop. I feel bad, i know she has to go with her pacing and zoomies through the house.
bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Cat24 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

can you walk her somewhere outside of the yard that has her preferred poop materials? Maybe something sprayed in that corner and she's uncomfortable there where another spot might be more inviting. If that doesn't work it might be a good time for a vet visit just to rule out any new medical stuff.
Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby bellasmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

I can try, she's very very finicky on where she goes #2, when we moved in this house a year ago it took her several days to go at all because it wasn't "her yard"...maybe trying spraying everything with a hose in that area to help remove any smell from another animal? The neighbors dog does get loose on occasion and come over and spray all over, but she didn't have any issue with it in the past.
bellasmom
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues