Question: Fecal incontinence in a senile dog.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Question: Fecal incontinence in a senile dog.

Postby JSturmgewehr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

Hi,
My Missy is about 12 years old (a rescue so age is an estimate). In the past few months she's had fecal incontinence issues even when she's just been outside. Traditionally, when she can't hold it she always goes on the foyer floor so it's easily to find. Lately, though, she's had accidents everywhere in the house including her bed or right next to where her food and water are. This morning she had an accident in her bed and then just laid in it when she could have gotten up and gone somewhere else. Yeah, it was messy.

Given her age, I would think that it might be caused by senility but she has also gone totally deaf in the past six months so some of what appears to be confusion sometimes might be caused by her inability to hear anything. The part about having accidents in bed leads me to believe that it is senility, though. Is there anything I can give her in the form of meds or dietary supplements to help with this?
Thanks.
JSturmgewehr
Newborn Bully

Re: Question: Fecal incontinence in a senile dog.

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:06 am

I knew there was a drug available for dogs for icontinence and that it started with a "P"...but couldn't remember what it was called.
In this thread, I found it's called proin. There's also a holistic option called leaks no more. However, what I do not know is if it'll help with the fecal part of this. Have you taken Missy to the vet to see if there's anythign there they can do to help?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151400&p=1984602&hilit=incontinence#p1984602
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby JSturmgewehr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:12 am

That thread and Proin appear only to be for urinary incontinence.
She does dribble a few drops right after she pees but about all it takes is for me to press a damp paper towels against there to sort of squeeze the last few drops out and there's no more dribbling. I can live with that but it's the pooping everywhere that I'm concerned with.
We are going to the vet tomorrow afternoon for that problem in addition to her other issues.
JSturmgewehr
Newborn Bully

Postby JSturmgewehr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:51 am

I probably should rephrase the question and ask what's good for curbing the effects of dementia since that's probably what's driving this incontinence issue.
JSturmgewehr
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 am

I would have a fecal test done to rule out a parasite that could be causing it first.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby JSturmgewehr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 pm

The vet thinks the incontinence issue it's caused by a mast cell tumor. I knew she had a red bump back there that she's been licking the past few days and that was another reason I wanted to have the vet examine her. I thought it was a swollen bug bite or something but he said it's a mast cell tumor and she's had those before. He gave her a Dexamethasone shot and a 7 day supply of Clavamox pills to be taken twice daily. That, and I'm supposed to clean the area with Nolvasan pads 2-3 times a day.
Hopefully we can get that under control because she's already had a malignant tumor removed less than 2 inches away from where the current tumor is.
JSturmgewehr
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues