Happy Tail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Happy Tail

Postby BabyReba » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Poor Oscar. Hang in there, both of you!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Checking in here daily to see how the two of you are doing! Sending all the best. So scary. :(

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby tiva » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Just saw this thread--how awful for you all. My thoughts are with you, and I hope it all goes well today.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Glad to hear he is doing better!!
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Today's the day for the second surgery and per facebook Amie couldn't sleep :( Keep those happy healing thoughts coming ya'll!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Amie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone!

Surgery went well, though it looks like there's still one more in the future. The vet is giving me a discount but even still I'm maxing out the cards I had almost paid off. We're home now, he's sleeping beside me. Got him to eat a little, but I'm trying not to put too much on his stomach, so I'm waiting an hour or so between tiny portions of food. For him, that is. For me, I'm stress-eating hummus and olive tapenade like it's the only food on a deserted island.
Amie
Regulator

Postby HersheyBear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Just saw this. poor guy. :crybaby:
extra healing thoughts heading Oscar's way ! :hug:
HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby heartbullies » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Just checking in to see how you both are doing!!

Hope he's continuing to improve daily. :)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 am

how awful. so so sorry. big hugs to all of you and best healing thoughts headed your way.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am

Yesterday I had to work so Rob took him in for his check up. He's been into the vet 7 times in the past 8 days. When they got there, they decided there was still too much dead skin, so they knocked him out with a mild anesthetic for about twenty minutes and trimmed off more skin. Today they'll do the same again, and try to tack down what's left (which is flopping around revoltingly). So much has died that we're running short on options for covering the wound - much of the infected area was the bottom of the tail, and we can't take skin from that area because it could affect his ability to use the bathroom. It may be several months of wound care while the skin grows back itself. I don't know.

I do know we're not in fear for his life right now. The infection is responding very well to the Baytril, and seems to be gone, he's feeling normal and silly and like himself, and I'm muchless distraught. It's been a hard two weeks.
Amie
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 am

I can't imagine going through this. I wish there was something I could do to make this easier on you. Big hugs, friend.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 am

Okay, so at today's visit the vet decided he wants to do another full-out surgery tomorrow. Rob and I will drop him off in the morning, he'll go right back for surgery, they'll take skin from his back, and stretch it down to cover as much of the tail as they can. When he's awake enough that I can take him (and they let me take him before they let most pet owners) I'll go pick him up and my boss has okayed it that he'll spend the afternoon in my office with me. That will be good because I'll be able to keep an eye on him, Rob will be nearby, and I won't lose anymore hours, since I've been late or off every day this past week. So I'm pretty nervous about it, but now I'm nervous like I was pre-first surgery, not nervous like he's going to die. I feel like I haven't slept in over two weeks. Probably because I haven't actually slept nightmare-free in over two weeks.
Amie
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm glad you and Oscar are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel! (And it's not a train) :thumbsup:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 pm

What a nightmare - cannot fully imagine the seriousness of this situation! How much/close was the original dock ?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:11 pm

His original dock was maybe four or five inches? Slightly longer than the little boxer nub. They took off another vertebra in the second surgery, and now it's about as long as a boxer nub. Just a little stump. We're using baby (not doggy) diapers, and there's no need to cut a hole - his tail likely wouldn't stick out anyway.
Amie
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues